Saturday, July 02, 2005

Closed Head Injury and Anger - 2nd Draft

As the title suggests, this is the revised edition of Closed Head Injury and Anger. However, I didn’t change very much. I think most of what I needed to change had to do with word choice and voice. If you happen to have read the first draft, I would appreciate knowing if this version sounds or reads different than the first draft.



I’ve been a closed head injury survivor for almost 15 year. I wrote some about it in I Lost Part of my Life.

Technically, I’m disabled. I say technically, because I’m not physically disabled and with the exception of my speech, which isn’t really all that bad, but is eternally a thorn in my side, most days I don’t have any reason to ever even think about my head injury. Maybe I’m in denial, but who isn’t?

However, there are days that are filled to the brim with reminders. The things I’m forced to deal with, combined with the sometimes idiotic ways I deal with them, are not only reminders that I do I have a head injury, but they’re reminders that force me to face the fact that I am dealing with a lot.

I guess in many ways I’m lucky. Some survivors deal not only with the mental struggles of a head injury, but with a huge range of physical deficits as well. This is something I try to remind myself of on the hard days…but trying to convince myself that I’m lucky to only have a closed head injury is usually not all that helpful.

When you break part of your body, it heals and life goes on. When you damage part of your brain either other parts of your brain take over and learn to compensate for the skill or ability you lost, or you learn to function without that particular skill.

My head injury took all my emotions, tossed them into a blender, hit puree and poured the emotional smoothie back into my brain.

Before my head injury I had strict control over any and all of my emotions. If I didn’t want to laugh, I didn’t laugh. If I didn’t want to cry, I didn’t cry. And I decided where and when I got angry. I liked having that kind of control. It made coping with an ever-changing world child’s play.

(In “I Lost Part of my Life,” I talk about me comparing
“New Hugh” to “Old Hugh”…it looks and sounds a lot like this)

These days my emotions have me at their mercy. I can’t watch TV without uncontrollably breaking into tears over the stupidest things. (I’m talking about Tide commercials!) It’s actually become kind of a family joke to look over and see what see what new household product commercial has caused Hugh to fall to pieces.

I also find myself laughing uncontrollably at the stupidest things. Seeing as laughing sends extra air through your windpipe and, thanks to a tracheotomy, I only have one functioning vocal cord to regulate the amount of oxygen that’s coming out, suddenly laughing makes it nearly impossible for me to talk and be understood.

These two problems are a minor inconvenience at best and while I would rather not have to go through life dealing with them, I’m the only one who is truly bothered and I can deal with that.

Not so for the anger.

Difficulty with anger management is an all too common problem experienced by closed head injury survivors. I know from the countless hours I spent in Occupational and Cognitive Remediation therapy that learning to deal with anger is a huge part of living with a closed head injury.

For the past 15 years I’ve been living with a kind of time bomb inside my head and I don’t have much, if any, control over when and where it goes off.

In a nutshell, this is what happens: Something happens that doesn’t go quite the way it should. Maybe it’s something that just isn’t working like it is supposed to, or maybe it’s simply not working the way Hugh thinks it should be working. Either way, my feeling overly frustrated is the first step. Over the years I’ve learned to identify this “overly frustrated feeling” and can now usually back away from the situation and avoid anything else.

If the situation involves other people, or something I can’t easily back away from that’s when I start to feel the wave. This wave of anger starts somewhere deep down. I don’t know exactly where, but I can feel it bubbling up and it sometimes scares me. There are times I can feel the wave coming and rational thought is able to block the wave. Other times, however, the wave is either so huge, or I’m already so tired, that rational thoughts don’t even register.

I can usually feel myself losing control. I know that I’m not being rational and that the situation, whatever it may be, doesn’t need my being angry. However, simply understanding that things are moving in the wrong direction isn’t always enough to turn things around.

I feel a lot like one of those cartoon characters has an angel on one shoulder and devil on the other. Early on, in my closed head injury survivor world, the angel rarely spoke. On the few occasions in which the angel did have something to say, it was all too easy for the devil to convince me to see things his way.

Melissa and I had only been married for a year and a half when we were in the car accident that pureed my emotions. For the first few years after the accident, Melissa lovingly dealt with a husband whose mood and temper were fragile at best. On more than one occasion, her easygoing spirit helped to calm me down long before anger was able to take over.

My daughter, on the other hand, has only known life with a head injured dad.

If you’re 10 and you get hurt, you go to the doctor and you get better. For this reason, I’m not sure she truly understands the kind of injury we’re talking about, but I can see in her eyes that she loves me and just wants everything to be okay.

Having a condition that never goes away is hard for me to wrap my mind around, and I’ve been on this planet 30 years longer than she has. How can I expect her to fully understand?

Let me just say that the times I’ve “blown-up” have, in the big scheme of things, been relatively minor. There’s never any physical violence, just me being angry and ranting and raving. The only thing I’ve ever broken was a Cross pen of mine that I happen to be holding, and I was very sad. It didn’t make a mess, but it was my favorite pen.

After 15 years, several hard life lessons, the support of my family and friends combined with me turning 40, I can finally say that these days the inner me doesn’t get angry all that quick. Even though the feelings are still there, more often than not I’m able take control of my anger before it takes control of me.

However, for reasons I don’t understand, although fatigue plays a big role, there are times my head injury pops out of the closet, takes control, and my anger gets the best of me.

These days it usually only happens with my immediate family, another fact that I don’t quite understand. Maybe home is the only place I’m able to completely let my guard down…I don’t know.

My anger management, thanks to Melissa’s continued love and support, has improved significantly. After 15 years, there are times she sees the potential for trouble long before it’s an issue, and is able to help me avoid the whole situation, or at least address it calmly.

I don’t know what I’d do without my wife and daughter, they are truly a blessing in my life, head injury or not. Their love, understanding and support make my life, which can seem hard at times, all worth it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it, more than you ever wanted to know about the anger issues of a closed head injury survivor. My head injury life is an uphill battle, and as much as I hate to admit it, it always will be. I guess I’ll just keep trudging through life and learning from my mistakes as best I can.


Note:
I’ve talked about this a lot with my family, but this is the first time I’ve written about it…at least the anger part. Writing it down has caused me to think through and see things much more carefully and clearly - thanks for listening.



21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugh,
That takes a lot of courage to put something so deeply personal out there.

I don't have a head injury but I do have a permanent illness that does many times play havoc on my emotional health, so I find myself relating to and empathising with what you've said here.

One of my coworkers has a sister who is a closed head injury survivor, and she always knows when she's about to 'go' as she calls it and she phones her brother, and warns him she needs him to be there within 20 minutes to keep her from entirely having a breakdown at times.

I admire your honesty and your strength.

You are always in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hugh,
Thanks for sharing. Those of us who have not had to go through the struggles you have, have a tendancy to say, "Hugh is all better" and forget the daily struggles you have. Again, thanks for sharing.

I have really enjoyed following your life through this blog thing. I have arrived in the 21st century, but not sure I have the talent to keep people reading, so I havent taken the plunge and started one of my own.

Tracy Ward

DBFrank said...

Gordon sent me on over, and as such I owe him a 'thank you'. You, Mr. Hugh, are a remarkable man facing what life has thrown at him with a resolve that others could emmulate. God bless, and thank you for sharing.

Hugh said...

Katy,
From what I learned in my year of rehab. is that a brain tumor and a closed head injury, while very differnt in most ways, do cause many of the same problems for their survivors.

So while I can't even begin to understand all of what you've been through, I can relate to some of some of the issues you've had to deal with in recovery.

Thanks for your kind words, and congratulations on the success you've had so far!

*ArtJoy4Ever said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wow...what a revelation. Thbanks to the preacher man I came over to read your story and it is so helpful. My hubby had what must've been very similar accident as a 16 year old in 1985. Several weeks in a coma, a year in rehab learning how to walk and talk again. Very limited physical damage, but learning how to walk and talk at the same time took major brain retraining. I met him at 20 something and never would've guessed his story. But we've been married 12 years now and the anger/frustration problems are so real. Nothing physical, but we have a very, strong willed child and not being able to control him can get anyone frustrated.....but for him it's explosive. I understand so much better now. Thanks so much for sharing something that is personal and difficult.....but you have made a difference!

*ArtJoy4Ever said...

He's the man Hi Hugh, How are you doing? Just want to thank you, for being you! The way you've chosen to live your life;After mayor brain surgery is an inspiration to the disable community. I as well lost part of my life, I also felt like my life slowed down a bit after my brain surgery.Your story had made me realize. even though, I have been living my life as best as could to live a very delightful life! However, after reading your story It has became clear to me. I could and should do more to live a even much fulfilling life than what I am. there is so much out there for me. I feel a bit better after knowing there is somebody out there coping with a similar situation as mine. And He is coping remarkable well. You are awesome for sharing such difficult and private story!! I really admire you for what you have done: shared your life with the world I couldn't do it. No way! Thank you Hugh...
You're the man!!!!

Bardo said...

Hugh,

Your struggle to live well is an inspiration to me. How do you deal with the anger part, while teching a bunch of third graders? Do you ever find yourself moving toward an outburst with them? How do you deal with it in that environment? Thanks again for your strength and willingness to share it with us.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Hugh,

You said "My anger management, thanks to Melissa’s continued love and support, has improved significantly. After 15 years, there are times she sees the potential for trouble long before it’s an issue, and is able to help me avoid the whole situation, or at least address it calmly."
What does that look like in the daily scheme of things? I am in Melissa's shoes with this thing and leave the inner-working to our Lord, but I am wondering what I can do in assistance.

Thanks for your sharing,
ian
ianmlawson@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Ian,

I have a good sense of the kinds of situations that will frustrate Hugh the most and what things can push him over the edge. I can also tell when he's beginning to get overly (shall we just go ahead and say irrationally?) upset about something...facial expression, tensing up, speaking sharply.

I generally just offer my own thoughts on how the situation might be best handled -- suggesting calm responses and keeping things in perspective. Trust me, this is not always received gracefully. In that moment, I am usually told to essentially mind my own business. But, it's still worth heading off the potential explosion...particularly between Dad and daughter.

It's nice to know that it really does help and is appreciated!

Melissa

Anonymous said...

Hey Hugh,
My wife is a survivor. She fell while rock climbing. We'd been married for four months. That was six years ago and she is doing incredible (thanks to God Almighty, lots of prayer, and her extremely stubborn personality). She is totally functional and holding down a fairly stressful full-time job.

When she was still in therapy, her Neurologist (a complete jerk) told me that "most marriages don't survive head injuries." We enjoy thinking un-Christian thoughts about that guy, let me tell you!

Tammy still has some short-term memory problems and anger issues, but her outbursts have become very rare in the last year or so.

To Ian: There's no silver bullet to being the spouse in this situation. The only thing you can do is give all your stress and struggles to God. When things are hard and don't make sense, take a breath, give it to God, and just love your wife unconditionally.

One thing that I had to learn was that there are times when helping her is the last thing she needs. There are times when she needs to feel independent and self-sufficient. Even if she's doing something wrong, let her do it. But like I said, every situation is a little different.

Thanks Hugh,
Trint
http://www.light-spark.com/blog/

Anonymous said...

Melissa, thank you for your words; i have been attemting to act in the same vain you have, but have been wary of its effects. I say my peace in the hope that it will defray the anxiety or, better-yet, will actually subdue it and bring the focus rightly back.

Again thanks for your words and hope, God is good.

By His grace,
ian

Anonymous said...

Hugh--

Thank you for your post. I have lived with and around my closed head injury since I was nine (40 years now).

I laughed at the wrong parts, cried at the funny ones and felt I had gained a brother. I understand much of what you wrote.

The loss of who the "old Bill" was is frustrating as well. I didn't have the wealth of memory you had gained but there is nothing left of my childhood pre-injury. I grieve that loss and find my self angry when others talk of childhood memories.

Even so I thank God for the experience. I thank Him also for sending your words to me. They helped me focus on a day that wasn't going so well. Maybe tomorrow will be better but for today I am going to celebrate the fact that someone understands. And I will share your story with my wife. It is a challenge for her at times

Anonymous said...

Dear Hugh,

Grace works in mysterious and amazing ways. My spouse is a closed brain injury survivor who was given a poor prognosis but nonetheless made an amazing recovery; like you, dwelling on how much worse it could have been is not a particularly helpful activity. Anyway, I'd only begun to get to know him when he had his accident, so I know him mostly post-injury. He too has anger management problems and, as it happens, he was having a very difficult time of things today (and therefore so was I). Through grace and 21st-c. technology, I found myself unexpectedly reading and benefitting from your sharing your experiences -- I suspect it's touched many of us in ways you never could have guessed when posting your story. My burden for today has been shared and lessened by your having shared yours, and that puts Jesus' yoke being easy and His burden being light to mind, and for that, I'm grateful to you. Thank you, and you are in my grateful prayers.

Bob Westbrook said...

Hugh, I placed a comment on your "I lost part of my life" post. I was divorced from my wife, whom I met while studying for the ministry in Dallas after I fell from a tree, broke my back and neck, and went through a drastic unexplained personality change. That was in 1981. 20 years later I was featured on TV as Toledo's John Doe because I was wandering with much of my memory gone after waking from a coma in Oklahoma. My wife saw this and called in to help. We were remarried in 2003. Brain injury tore us apart and brought us together. My blog is at http://walkedwithangels.blogspot.com

Kimberly Aikman, facilitator. said...

Dear Hugh,

I am a brain injury survivor and am 7 years post. I had a brain aneurysm rupture and brain surgery when I was 31 years old. I want to thank you for your honesty and sharing your life. I also want you to know that your life can be different, better, and that you don't have to accept living with a brain injury. There are therapies that can help restore your brain function and quality of life. I facilitate a brain injury support group that might be of help to you. Please visit www.lifelinesdallas.blogspot.com for more information.
God bless,
Kimberly

Anonymous said...

An injury to the head is always a serious matter as it could lead to all sorts of complications, what feels like a normal headache could be something else. If you or someone you know suffers a head injury they should be checked by a professional as soon as possible. If it a industrial accident then inform your boss of the incident and ask if you can leave for treatment.

memoirista said...

I'm a nineteen-year survivor of an accident, with injuries that included closed-head brain injury, resulting in a week-long coma and -- especially, short-term memory loss. At the time of the accident I already had a Ph.D. in Counseling/Clinical Psychology. A wise person I knew then told me that people with brain injuries who reacted with anger, as I was doing, had a better prognosis. That is, we recover to a greater extent.
As a psychologist, I have to say that he was correct, and what I am reading in these comments about "anger management" is blaming the victim. I understand the fury as what a psychologist would call a narcissistic injury. Something you expect and understand about yourself and your experience of yourself is gone. The classic experience is the way a young child experiences the disappearance or loss of a loved caretaker. The child is enraged, and cannot cope with the loss.

It's fairly clear, with me, because I was hit by a car. When I walk across the street, and someone eases through a stop sign, and cuts across my path, I have a couple of reactions. The rational one is to note the license plate and call them in to the police. The irrational one, that comes from post-traumatic stress syndrome, is to yell after them, "Pay your car insurance!" because I was hit by an uninsured driver, and, logically, if someone is driving so they might hit me, they d**n well better have their car insurance paid up, to cover the rehab!

Otherwise, frustration with handling idiotic voice mail systems gets me furious before I talk to anyone. With people I know, I do generally have things under control -- except at my daughter's wedding.

Yes, I take responsibility for keeping people from knowing how angry I am in the moment. I had a motto, which fit Salt Lake City, where anger is an original sin. It goes, "Let me not ruin anyone's day today" -- as I dealt with Social Security, and Hospital Billing Departments, and Rehab secretaries. But if I did, I noted it, and moved on.

I think of it as controlling my natural anger, rather than as something about me I have to "manage." So the term "anger management" makes me angry. Could you tell?

Much success to all us angry ones!

Agile QA Ninja, at your service. said...

Three years ago my mom had an aneurysm rupture on the tennis court. It was so bad that she was given less than a 1% chance of survival. She had a pretty good recovery curve after 'waking up' slowly from her coma. Unfortunately though, it turned out she had extensive damage to both her frontal lobes. Needless to say she has evolved into a person that physically is my mom, but that's about it.
My sister, dad, and me have formed a triangle of parenting. Emotionally difficult to do at first, thankfully it has turned into the ordinary. It's like caring for a child, to be honest.
Anyway - to get to the point - my mom, Lonna, is extremely irritable at all times. The only time she's not dropping F-bombs is when she's eating. Her personality is such that she views people helping her as torturing her. Does anyone have any experience with a specific medication or therapy? We've tried all kinds of anti-depressants, acupuncture, and water therapy...
Thanks!
-Steve.

shrink on the couch said...

Hello, I will first join the others in saying thanks so much for posting your story. I came to your blog seeking information about closed head injury (in particular an injury that occurred at a very young age) and anger. I am dealing with a situation where a person who, as a small child, was in a car accident and suffered fractures and likely closed head injury. I've only known this person as an adult. Over the past few years I've learned of numerous examples of anger outbursts caused by unlikely things. Just recently one such outburst was aimed at me.

So here is my question - how long after an outburst of "irrational" anger does the closed h/i person start to realize they were irrational? Do they slowly gain better insight following the upset on their own? Only when someone points it out to them? Or not at all?

Thanks so much.

TreeGirl said...

Hi,

yogurt- In my experience, I am aware I am being irrational but I am too angry to act on that. The anger isnt a rational anger that obeys reason, it just keeps going. I am lucky if I can run away and hide before I freak out. If their injury is similar to mine, they know they are being irrational but need time to let the anger subside.

Hugh- Thanks for writing that. It reminds me not to be so hard on myself. I had a brain injury about 14 months ago. I guess I am getting better. I don't really know. The brain fog has been slowly clearing, only to be replaced by anxiety and anger. I used to be a very good student and a sociable, easy-going person. I am 17 and all the other kids are looking at colleges and planning their lives. I cannot figure out how to go to school every day. I don't know if I will be able to graduate because I miss so much school. I have trouble being around anyone for more than an hour because I get so freaked out and I spend most of my time upset or hyper. My mom is fed up with me for being a bitch. I am awful to live with. I hate it. I hate this. I feel like a 3rd grader. I wish I could get into a 3rd graders body and start from there. Then at least it would match. This way I am expected to act almost like an almost adult. I am suppose to have grown up in the last year. I have regressed.