Monday, July 11, 2005

The Living Stones

The other night I went to hear the Living Stones, a band some of my friends are in. This was their first paying gig! They played here in Dallas at the Lone Star Café, a little out of the way bar that specializes in cold beer and even colder food.

I really enjoyed the music, although I never did hear the Pink Floyd, Doors, or Frank Zappa that I requested. These are friends of mine from church, so I was expecting some preferential treatment, but they just kept whining about no keyboard, or something like that.

All in all, the evening was fun, if for no other reason than good music and fun people watching. I don’t frequent bars, so I’m not regularly exposed to some of the more colorful elements of our society. But this place was a full-blown color wheel!

You name’em, and they were there. I’m about talking everything from a girl in a sequined dress, (She was a bit out of place here) all the way down to folks in shorts and tank tops. At 40, I fully expected to be about the oldest person at this shindig, but I was surprised to find many senior citizens out drinking and dancing the night away. They even had a potluck dinner for some lady’s 60th birthday!

This band has five people and with the exception of the bass player, I know them all. These guys aren’t in this band at hopes of making a living. We’re talking about two lawyers and two guys with at least Masters degrees. I’m quite positive that playing in a band isn’t any of these guys’ main source of income, but that’s possibly just what makes it work.

The Living Stones are five guys with two things in common: a love for music and the desire to play. And I guess there’s some talent rolled-up in the mix somewhere.

So, if you’re ever in Dallas and you ever get a chance to hear the Living Stones play, treat yourself to cold beer and a few songs.

They may not be the best you’ve ever heard, but baby, they’ve got heart!

No comments: