Thursday, November 18, 2004

I lost part of my life.

After my brother’s wedding, the whole family, extended family and all, spent a few days in Corpus Christi. We played on the beach, hung out at the pool and just had fun with relatives we hadn’t seen in quite a while. I went offshore fishing one night with a couple of cousins. The boat took us a couple of miles off the coast, just far enough to make it legal to sell beer on the boat. We spent the next three hours with our lines in the water, drinking beer and laughing.

Unlike my cousins and I, who paid the extra dollar to use the boat’s equipment, the guy next to me had brought his own rod. Now this guy had some serious cash invested in his fishing gear.

We had been out for about two hours and the guy with the expensive fishing gear had downed more beer than the three of us combined, maybe that was to blame. Whatever the reason, one minute he’s holding this rod that’s worth more than my car (It was 1985 and I had a 1977 Monte Carlo) and the next minute we’re all watching it vanish into the depths of the Gulf of Mexico. All he could do is stand there and mourn, because as the boat’s bait guy put it, “Baby, it ain’t coming back!”

It’s very frustrating to me to lose anything. I’ve been known to search desperately on my hands and knees, for longer that a sane person should, to find a single screw that I’ve dropped in the garage.

I really hate losing stuff.

Imagine, if you will, how a person with such an intense dislike for losing things feels when he loses something really valuable and has no possible hope of ever retrieving the missing item.

In 1990, my wife and I were headed to friend’s house for dinner, when I turned left in front of a pick-up truck. In the blink of an eye two months of my life, along with several of my personality traits, sank to the ocean’s floor and I’ve spent the better part of 14 years standing and mourning.

I suffered a closed head injury and was in a coma for a month. I spent three months after the coma as an inpatient at Dallas Rehabilitation Institute (DRI) and the next eight months in outpatient rehabilitation therapy.

In life, everybody has to do things that aren’t exactly what they want to do. And while they may not be happy about what they’re doing, they are doing something

From the third month to the end of my outpatient stint at DRI, while I didn’t necessarily want to be there, I do have memories of being there. I was doing something. I have memories both enjoyable and frustrating. I have memories of daily physical and occupational therapy sessions. I have memories of people and events, both good and bad. And I have memories of physical and mental struggles. Life was going. Life was happening.

Not so for the month I spent at Parkland Hospital and my first month at DRI. Those days are not there and never will be. The doctor told me that there was so much brain swelling and so little brain activity, that it wasn’t like being asleep. I was closer to being dead. At least brain dead.

Early on, I found myself longing to know what was happening while I was out. Not in the whole world, just in my world. I know from the countless cards and letters my family saved for me that people were concerned and praying for me. I know that my family felt scared and helpless as they waited on pins and needles, praying the doctor’s next report would be good news.

I’ve heard all the stories and I lived through the hardest part of the rehabilitation. But that can’t be all. I was gone for two months. I know there’s more. There’s got to be more. Doesn’t there?

I wore out my wife and family long ago asking questions about what people were doing and thinking. I want to know moods. I want to see faces. I want to understand. I want to be able to remember.

Part of me feels like I’m being selfish. The people I’m questioning, they don’t want to remember. They don’t want to relive September 8, 1990. Remembering pain isn’t easy or fun. I can’t even imagine how painful the whole experience must have been.

I can’t even imagine and I guess that’s the problem.

My brother printed me a copy of the journal he kept during the whole ordeal. I’ve read it a thousand times in hopes of having some kind of revelation. And while it helped I still want more.

After spending the last 14 years on my hands and knees, I’ve all but abandoned my desperate search for clues to my life’s missing parts. You see, life doesn’t slow down and wait for people to play catch-up. You’re expected to keep trudging along, and fill in the gaps as best as you can. And I found that as time wears on, people’s memories of those events aren’t very detailed or reliable anymore.

Today there is a before accident or “Old Hugh” and an after accident or “New Hugh.” There was a time when most of my memories were of the Old Hugh. I still had crisp clear memories of Old Hugh and I forced myself to live in his shadow.

I spent more time than I probably should have comparing New Hugh to Old Hugh. Comparing New Hugh to Old Hugh was hard, because New Hugh never seemed to be able to measure up. He was never quite as quick, never quite as smart, just never quite as good.

As time moves on I find myself losing touch with the Old Hugh. There was a time when New Hugh’s voice, which was affected not only by the brain injury, but also by vocal cord trauma due to a tracheotomy, sounded very strange to me. And while I still don’t like how new Hugh’s voice sounds, these days hearing a recording of Old Hugh’s voice is what sounds strange. It’s like hearing a voice you recognize, but just can’t put a face to.

These days I find that the Old Hugh is becoming harder and harder to find. I’m not sure, but I think the dividing line between the two Hughs has become so blurred that after 14 years it has become hard to tell where one ends and the other begins.

New Hugh is a nice guy too. In many ways he is very much the same as Old Hugh. But there are still times that I really miss Old Hugh. It’s mostly things only my wife or I would notice.

Old Hugh visits me sometimes in my dreams. He’s still happy, carefree and young. Living his life like nothing can hurt him. He speaks clearly and his words pour out polished with never even the hint of effort. But sooner or later I awake and find that my speech is still labored and a little choppy.

No matter how badly I might want to, I know I'll never be able to dive into the murky depths and retrieve Old Hugh, because baby, he ain’t coming back.

19 comments:

Hugh said...

Fish,

Thank you for your kind words.

As you can imagine, this was not easy to write and even harder to share. I've been working on it for quite a while and writing it has been like therapy for me.

It feels good to know that someone else got something out of my words.

Hugh

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing, Hugh. I don't know what else to say to that. I'll probably be thinking on it for a while (I process slowly).
:) Val

Anonymous said...

I can identify with your feelings. I have this uncanny ability to remember concepts, case studies, rules and all the things that help make me successful at the different careers I've attempted, but for some reason, I can't remember my own past well. And I often pine for those kind of memories. It's odd to hear your brothers or sisters, mother, father, or others who have known you a long time say, "Remember when . . . ?" and you don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Although I never knew Old Hugh, this much I can say, I really like the simple eloquence of New Hugh.

-- Rick, from Unspun™

Anonymous said...

From your brother,

Look I'm going to strongly disagree with Jeremy, who really doesn't know you. I mean, how exactly do you read one thing that a man writes and then say things like "You are missing the present" or "You seem to put so much energy into gathering up the past."

I'm sorry Jeremy, but I just can't let that go without strongly suggesting you stop and consider what you are doing. What do you know of Hugh Atkinson and his life? I happen to know him very well. You simply read ONE post in a new blog and have decided you are his self-appointed therapist.

Here's a tip. Don't become someone's therapist unless they ask you and unless you are well qualified for the job.

What if you found out this was the first time he had ever written about this thing? What if you found out that he was only giving a very appropriate amount of time to this discovery and his grief, but was a man who absolutely lived in the present?

In my opinion, and I deal with this kind of thing a lot, you sound like you are projecting your own life onto him. Perhaps his writing has awakened something in you.

If so, physician, heal thyself.

aola said...

This was a beautiful post, Hugh. I like the way you write. I can kind of relate to this one but backwards.. in my life BC(before Christ)there are lots of days and nights I don't remember and while it feels really Weird to have someone tell me about something I actually did and have absolutlely NO memory of it I am pretty glad that I don't remember and even more glad for Grace. I like the new me much better.

Anonymous said...

Hugh,I have wondered a long time when you would feel it was time to talk about the accident that changed you and your family. In our gratitude for your amazing recovery and Melissa's strength to endure her own pain as she nourished you and your marriage, the family has celebrated your lives without talking about those dark days, especially those days you lost forever.

Now is the time. My journal will uncover some of this for you. There has never really been two Hughs for me. You have been the same person, one that has trained the unused part of his brain to take over for cells lost. Being witness to this has been beyond my own thinking. My heart cries out in thankfulness.

I love you so.
Mom

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael said...

Hugh,

I've known your brother for close to 10 years I think now, and known the 'basics' of your accident. I've met you a couple of times, only the "New Hugh."

Your brother and I had lunch a few months back. He was worried about me because my wife has had a lot of health problems and he feared I might slip through the cracks, not have someone looking out of "me" during such times. He generously offered himself and I wholeheartedly accepted his grace.

Yet I also mentioned to him that I thought I was handling things well because I had already been given the "gift of suffering." I lost my parents as a teenager, it was bad, I railed against life and God for 20 years. But now I see life, and its traumas differently because I know that loss in 1972 led to me where I am today, to God, to my wife and children, to my church and to friends like your brother.

During that conversation your brother said, "I guess I never have experience such suffering." Moments later he said, "Well, except for when my brother was hurt."

It was your suffering, and his suffering that in part made you both the men you are today. In my estimation, very good, very caring men.

Perspective of the immensity of time is impossible in my mind, but these incidents are like peeks into how God sees time. That there is a point to pain. That suffering produces hope. That shared sorrow often leads to a closeness that could be forged no other way.

I'm glad to get to know "Hugh"...the old is part of the new...You may not see him, but he's the only Hugh I've ever seen...much thru the loving eyes of his family.

Grace to you,

Michael

Bonnie said...

I'm way late in reading this post, Hugh, but it is an amazing thing to read. I can only imagine what it must have taken for you to write this.

Each of us harbors deep painful wounds from varying sources. Each of us is truly heroic, in overcoming those wounds and building a life that includes the results of those wounds. Sometimes I chide myself for not being better in a hundred ways. Other times I can see that I am a hero in my own life... I got through my own wounds and came out wiser, stronger, deeper, and with a better sense of humor.

I honor the hero you are, in your own life.

I've loved your funny poems, but now that I've read this I feel as if I love you, as well as your poems!

Anonymous said...

A little late reading your post...Sorry!

I still see the old in you. You are still the very caring, sincere and extremely protective a loving brother you have always been towards me. I will never forget how God worked in all of our lives during this time.

Melissa and Macy are so fortunate to have you as the husband and father. I--am very blessed to have you as my brother. And don't you forget, you are the BEST Ducka Du in the world!!!

Janan

Anonymous said...

Hey Hugh,
I hope, you might apologize my strange kind of english. I'm from Germany and don't speak your language so fluently. I'm sorry.
I want to tell you that I have a "new Hugh" close on my side for about four years. My boyfriend Ernst had a cerebral hemmorrage in 2001 and was in coma for a few days. When he woke up, he was completely unimpaired in motoric and lingual functions - but he lost his memory functions at all, spoke "mad" things and was a non-compliant, aggressive "Zombie" with a changed personality. Six months later he wasn't much better and the physicians in his rehabilitation center told us, that he never could live at home, but in a nursing home.
I didn't agree with them. He ist the great love of my live and we spent about ten years together before this desaster happened. I decided to make a trial and took him home with me. His mother and a couple of really good friends of us helped to organize the following therapies and to take care of him. He wasn't able to do anything himself because he lost his short-time memory also.In the following one an a half years he became better and better. Slowly.Memory functions came back to him. He "discovered" his own life again, his books, the piano, most of the stories of his life - me, his mother and all of his friends. Today he is a self-reliant, self-conscious person and lives his own life. Without any remarkable handicap.
But he is a new one and he lost a whole year of his memory, that will never come back. I don't really know how he feels about it. We told him all what happened that time, but it isn't the same and sometimes he is really sad about it for moments.
I'm very proud of him. I like the "new Ernst" as much as the old one. Or much better. Because he is a hero, like you are. He is good-humoured most of his time, with plans and good ideas as well as he had in former times. In spite of all the circumstances. He was a musician, philosopher, hippie and anarchist - it never did a matter to him to be different of the majority. And so he got back the part of himself, I ever liked best. It is heroic to live and to enjoy that life and to show all the perfect men all around that it is possible to overcome such a catastrophy. I learnt a lot over that time about love and true friendship and I got much more strenght I ever had before. I don't believe in God and so I cannot thank anyone for that. But I'm very glad, that I had the possibility to learn so important things. We are a lucky "twosome" again and we share a great miracle, which isn't to explain to someone else...
I'm sorry about the length of this posting, but I had to
thank you for your story and to tell you, that you are a hero too ;-)

Best regards,
Annett

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for that eloquent post. You've put words to my feelings as well, and for that I am grateful. I have been dealing with old me/new me -- swimming around in the murky water, looking for someone that just isn't there. I can imagine how difficult it was for you to write this. I'm going to print it out and show it to my husband, if you don't mind.

Best wishes,
Carol
tootmagoot@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I followed a link of your brother's to get to this page and I was touched by what you've written. (A gift with words seems to run in the family!) Like some other commenters, I have a friend with a somewhat similar story - a good deal of memory loss and loss of mental acuity due to a tough bout with hyperthyroidism. She, too, spent many years mourning the identity she lost to the illness. Your experience is (regrettably) not as uncommon as you might think. I'm glad that New Hugh writes.

Anonymous said...

From Real Live Preacher (brother)

I used to miss the old Hugh. There was something sharper in your words, more cutting in your wit. You were quicker then. I used to try to figure out the differences.

Let me tell you, you are all HUGH. What is missing is mostly stuff that would have mellowed with age anyway. I think you are the kind and gentle man you were meant to be.

I wouldn't trade the new hugh for anything in the world, not even for old hugh, whoever or whatever he might have been.

g

Anonymous said...

Hugh,
Thank you for sharing your story. My brother fell over in the coffee shop one year ago and was diagnosed with a brain tumor, an astrocytoma. He has had surgery, radiation, chemo and steroids, but part of the tumor is still growing. Formerly a lineman, a builder, plumber, electrician, he hates his weakness, his loss of memory and the ability to solve some simple problems. But he has no pain and we are so grateful to have him. Also following the radiation his hair grew back--black and curly. This kind of illness sorts priorities immediately. We have spent more time talking about things that matter, sharing time with friends and experiencing love from unexpected corners. Now each new day is a gift. All we have to do is untie the ribbon.Good luck to you.
Wilhelmine Estabrook, New Brunswick, Canada

Anonymous said...

WOW,THAT WAS DEEP.I HAVE A BEFORE AND AFTER. BEFORE MY FALL AND AFTER. BECAUSE OF PLATES,SCREWWS PERMANENT NEVER DAMAGE IN BACK NECK AND LEGS. HAD APLATE PUT IN MY NECK TO HOLD IT TOGETHER.HAD HACK SUGERY BECAUSE I COULDN'T WALK,,NOW WALKING OKAY,BUT MY BACK IS FULL OF SCAR TISSUE,AND BOTH MY KNEES BLEW OUT. I WAS TOLD NOTHING WILL HELP. 3 THINGS SET ME OFF IN SO MUCH PAIN I CAN'T GET OUT OF BED. ACTIVITY,WEATHER AND MAINLY SRTESS,WHICH NOW BROUGHT ON RHUEMATOID ARTHRITIS,SO I HAVE GOOD DAYS AND BAD DAYS. TRYING TO BE STRESS FREE HELPS A LOT,OTHERWISE IT'S A ENDLESS CYCLE,
PAIN,BRING ON STRESS,WHICH BRINGS ON MORE PAIN. AND THEY CAN'T CONTROL IT.I TAKE 10 ACTIC 1600 MCG
A DAY. THAT'S THE MOST POWERFUL PAINKILLER IN THE WORLD. ANYWAY I'M STICKING IT OUT,FOR FAMILY AND GOD. BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO COME BACK HERE AGAIN.

Anonymous said...

Hugh,
This intimate story is very moving. I don't know what to say, I just want to be quiet for a few moments and silently, reverently salute you. Sometime I'd like to talk more about this experience with you.
Russell & I really enjoyed dinner with you and Melissa last Friday. You are fascinating and fun, and we are grateful to know you a little better now.
Brave journey,
Brian

Anonymous said...

Hugh -

I know this was written a long time ago, but I'm just catching on to this blog thing. So I have been going back and reading all your stuff. The memories of that night are still fresh in my mind. Waiting for you guys and wondering what could have happened, and then our worst fears being realized.
I know we havent seen each other in a few years, but I can tell you without any hesitation that I just like 'Hugh'. Old or new, doesnt matter. The only Hugh I dont like is the one I saw day after day in that hospital bed, I didnt like that guy very well...too quiet. I'm glad that guy is gone,baby, and I hope he never comes back.

By the way, I'm not sure if I ever told you but Michael and I caught a nurse taking a peak under the sheet, if you know what I mean. I thought the giggling was completely uncalled for.
Love you man,
Tracy Ward

Bob Westbrook said...

Hi Hugh, I am a fellow survivor of not one but several traumatic brain injuries. Only the last one was diagnosed. I woke from a coma just before Christmas 2001 but didn't have insurance, friends, or family around with the exception of my alcoholic brother. I ended up wandering homeless trying to learn who I was and recover my memory. You can read more on my blog where I journal life with TBI and the miracles that have happened since I woke up. That is at http://walkedwithangels.blogspot.com Sounds like you are doing well. I will be moving to Texas where I was born in a few months. Will be visiting