Friday, July 08, 2005

The Big Bus Adventure

We got to the bus at about 8:00am, and we weren’t the first ones there. Some of these parents wanted to make sure their girls got first pick of seats.

I’m happy to report that I did a good job maintaining my composure. However, I nearly lost it when my daughter walked up and gave me that last hug. Melissa didn’t start to tear up until the bus was pulling out. She was quite strong up until that point.

Standing there, I watched the bus pull out of the parking lot and disappear over the horizon. For me, it was a very strange and solemn kind of happiness. A kind of happiness that I’ve not experienced before. I don’t know exactly what this means. Even as I’m writing this, I’m not sure how I’m supposed to feel.

Melissa and I left, got some breakfast and went home.

As she left for work she asked, “So, what are you going to do today?”

Confused, I paused and said, “I don’t know.”

Having nothing to do can be kind of scary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to tell you this, Hugh, but get used to it. My mom and grandma boo-hooed when I moved away for my first real job --- after college!

Anyway, I set up an e-mail account at FutureLHdad@hotmail.com. I would appreciate corresponding with you about the neighborhood and school.

Full disclosure: My wife and I both graduated from Lake Highlands in 1983, but a lot has changed since then! Fortunately, a lot has stayed the same, too.