Saturday, November 06, 2004

Working in the Yard

I had to cut the yard yesterday. I had let it go thinking I would cut it later. But later it rained. So I waited. By then the week had come and between school, my daughter’s piano lessons, faculty meetings, and going to my parent’s house in Marshall for the weekend I ended up waiting almost three weeks to cut my damn grass. My yard was a mess.

I enjoy doing yard work. I’m not sure why, but I really do. Maybe it’s the fact that I work hard and when I’m done I can see the results right then. There are no three chances to pass, no waiting three to five months for the results and no forming of a committee to study diagnostics of the situation. When you are finished you can look around and see that you have done a good job. I don’t know, maybe that’s it.

In my neighborhood, lawn work is a lost art. People either are too old, too busy or just too apathetic to do their own yard. I rarely see anyone out cutting his or her own yard. Most people pay to have it done. And that’s okay. Don’t get me wrong. If I had the money to pay someone, I probably would. But I think I’d miss it. I hope I would.

What’s considered yard work these days is landscaping. Planting flowers and stuff like that. Landscaping is equally hard work. I’ve done it, I know. But there is something a little less artsy, a little less Come on sorority sisters, let’s plant these flowers! about cutting the grass, your own grass, it feels totally different. It’s very rewarding.

So there I am, with my new John Deere, gas powered trimmer, its three-horse power engine at full throttle, sweating like a large fifth grader after recess, mercilessly attacking the dangling sprigs of Saint Augustine that happen to be poking onto the sidewalk. And loving every minute of it!

I paused for a moment, to inspect my work. That’s when my neighbor from across the street, who I was unaware was also doing his yard, called over.

Tear it up man! That’s quite a machine you got there.

I’m not sure if all men are this way, although I pray we are and act as though my prayers have been answered, but for me, a chance to talk about and show off a new yard toy is situation you just don’t pass up. For me it’s right up there with getting the chance to see the Beatles live in concert. You stop whatever you’re doing and just do it.

So, of course, I stopped and showed off my toy.

We discussed the line weight, the oil and gas mixture and all the attachment options. We compared the various styles and brands. (Although, when you’re holding a John Deere, you don’t mention much else) I let him give it a spin and then he made all the appropriate comments about, and was sufficiently impressed with its power. And we both got back to work.

The whole conversation took about four minutes. Any longer would have just been too long.

When I finished I yelled to him across the street.

Here we are, working in the yard, talking about tools, sweating…I even wiped my nose on my shirt, damn-it! It doesn’t get any more manly than this. If I had a beer, I’d be in heaven!

We both laughed and I walked inside for that beer

11 comments:

Tim Dahl said...

Nice post. My wife and I are looking for a house. This will be our first one, and I'm looking forward to having my "first mower." It will be great!

Tim

p.s. Yeah, I found out about you from RLP. By the way, he said that he loved you! Don't let him have your beer, though... ;-)

Anonymous said...

I enjoy doing yard work. It seems that yes, it is a lost art. but to get on the machine, and run circles for hours to me is like meditation. edging, clipping, trimming, its like having a relationship with the land. it grows and we care for it by keeping it looking great. all the more as people drive by and say " Hey, that yard looks fantastic." thats the greatest reward about lawn work. and that we do it ourselves shows we care about our homes too.

by the way, have you talked to your brother today?
he loves you, you know.

Jeremy

aola said...

Well, I hate to burst your bubble but I also love to do yardwork and would also stop to show off my new John Deere mower I got this year :) (25hp with a 48" cut)soooo... it's not just man thing.

Hugh said...

Aola,

But do you blow your nose on your shirt?

Hugh

Hugh said...

Tim,

I love him too.

And anyone who comes to my house and works in the yard is welcome to my beer. Well, not my LAST beer. I mean, if I've got some to spare, and he asks nice, then RLP can have a beer...I guess.

P.S. Good luck with the new house and the new mower!

Anonymous said...

I hate yardwork. We spent a few weekends this summer landscaping our flowerbeds with rock. We kept the rhodies & azaleas, got rid of all the little flowery crap. Now all I need to keep it tidy is Round-Up. Woo-hoo! Don does the mowing, bless his heart. I don't think he enjoys it, though. When we get old, we'll probably pave the front lawn and paint it green. :)

Anonymous said...

I guess I should set up a username, since I forget to sign things! :)
Val, of Don & Val

Peg said...

Wow! You have been busy. I am so proud of you!

You know it is funny, I was thinking about all my friends that are turning the big 40 before me this year, and I thought about you! It is my job to give everyone I know a hard time about turning 40 and that I will be younger then them forever, so here goes: Enjoy the next few days as the somewhat young man that you are because everything will definitely be down hill after Saturday!!!! Hope you enjoy the other side! I am so sorry!!!

I will see you there in about 5 months!

Great job on your blog!

aola said...

Ok, Hugh, you win... I don't blow my nose on my shirt. Have been known to spit while mowing (those bugs in your teeth get nasty), does that count?? And, just FYI, the little cup holder on the John Deere mowers is a joke... all kinds of stuff gets in your beer.

Anonymous said...

Real Live Older Brother,

I hope I haven't given you the bug, brother. With all these people reading, you may find yourself drawn to writing. She's a terrible taskmaster of a mistress, and she will take your will and your love.

And it's wonderful. But stay sane and keep your boundaries. You're better at that than me, I think. Teaching school makes you learn boundaries.

As for what you've written here, the thing is, we can feel you a little. We hear your voice.

There may be no more children coming in our family, we'll see about Janan and Bobbie. So there may be no more counterfit Cubans in your back yard. But I would love to be drinking a cold one with you, sitting in your fresh-cut grass. Maybe soon.

bobbie said...

real live teacher!

cool, welcome to the blogosphere! your real live brother loves you and thinks the world of you! happy birthday!