Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Dancing Joe

Moss Haven Elementary, where I teach, is located in a Dallas residential neighborhood. It isn’t on any major streets and even on school days, traffic isn’t all that bad. However, wisely adhering to the advice of everyone’s grandmother, the school decided to be better safe than sorry and hire a crossing guard.

I’ve been at MHE for six years and in that small amount of time we’ve had more crossing guards than I can count.

My first three years at MHE the life expectancy of a crossing guard was about two months. I’m not sure about where you are, but in Dallas the job of crossing guard is not a very coveted position. We had guards who showed up late and left early. We had guards who fought with and swore like sailors at parents. And we had guards that would just sit in their car, look both ways and wave for the kids to cross the street.

All that changed when Joe came on-board. Joe loves his job. I don’t know what Joe’s last name is. I’m not sure anyone does, but along the way someone started calling him “Dancing Joe” and it stuck. Dancing Joe is his name, because dancing is what he does.

He spins and moon walks and plays his stop sign like a guitar and tips his hat to every child he walks across the street. He recognizes every student, knows most by name, is genuinely happy to see each one and they all love him.

Joe lives about a mile from school and walks each day. Hot or cold or rain or shine, whatever the weather, Dancing Joe is always there faithfully doing his job. He’s never tardy and stays extra late.

“I just want to make sure even the kids who woke up late get across that street safely,” is what he once told me. And I have no doubt that he means it.

I discovered that Joe is a veteran. I have no idea how long, or in what branch of the military Joe served, but if his dedication to his crossing guard duties is any indication, he was one good soldier.

I’ve spent time talking with Joe. He’s a really nice guy and it’s easy to see why the kids all love him. However, it’s not hard to tell by his speech and the level of his conversations that Joe is somewhat mentally challenged. I don’t want to know the details behind Joe’s mental condition. In my mind I imagine a man who was injured while selflessly serving his country. I don’t know if that’s the case, but I like my little imagined scenario and I don’t plan on asking for anything more.

Dancing Joe has been the MHE crossing guard for the last three years and he’ll probably be helping kids cross the street long after I’m gone.

I wonder which of life’s great secrets one needs to know in order to love doing a job that nobody else wants?

Maybe I’ll ask Dancing Joe.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Gordon,

Hey man, I'm glad you're giving Dancing Joe some play. He's a gift to your school and ought to be well appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I saw on your brother's blog that it is your birthday today so I just wanted to say

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! =) I hope it's a great one! =)

Your online friend by proxy,
HelenAngel on LiveJournal.Com

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention; your brother loves you and he's glad you two are the same age now.

Bob

The Teller said...

Wow, you're just like your brother, making up the best in people. Probably not genetic but attributable to your parents just the same. If my kids weren't all ready finished with 3rd grade, I'd move to Dallas just to have you educate them for one year. Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I found your blog via your brother's. Happy birthday. I have only read the story about Dancing Joe so far and really enjoyed it, so I'll probably add your blog to my list of regular reads. Any chance you could enable an RSS or Atom feed on it. I know that Blogger supports them.

Cheers,
Steve (http://craniac.antville.org)

Michael said...

Another one of your brother's hand-me-downs.
I have an older brother too.

Although he may have pointed the way, I'll stay because what you write has a quality and flavor that I enjoy.

Take Care
Michael

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm also here via RLP and looking forward to reading the rest of your blog. Many blessings, Margaret.

Anvilcloud said...

What a wonderful start you have had to blogging. It makes me want to come back.

Anonymous said...

You write enough like rlp to be his brother, Don't think that I'm psychic, he told me to check in on you. That's how big brothers are, and you have one to be proud of. Oh! He also said to tell you that he loves you, and that too is very important. I also read your fathers blog. Great stories. osray

Anonymous said...

Hugh,
Nice to meet you! We've been enjoying your bro's blog for quite a while now. He loves you very much and is glad you're the same age now... but we all know you're really MUCH younger! He thinks when you turn 40 that you will "both be in your early 40's", but you really won't be in your early 40's until you're 41. :) Hahaha.
Thanks for sharing yourself, we'll be back.
Don & Val

ACM said...

Nice one!

I wonder which of life’s great secrets one needs to know in order to love doing whatever it is that needs to be done . . .

Welcome to blog-space!
acm

Hugh said...

Thank you to everyone. I'm enjoying the blog world and I appreciate all the kind words.

And Don & Val have it...40 is MUCH younger that 43!

I guess RLP just can't remember that far back.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

Ah...the ability to see runs in the family. Excellent!

My son is in the third grade. I think I will share your poem with him--he'll get a kick out of it. As for me, I loved the story about Dancing Joe. Oh that we all loved our jobs that well!

Jim said...

You and Gordon are lucky to have each other as friends, and the rest of us are happy that you both write so well. When's the book coming out?

BTW, your big brother loves you!

Anonymous said...

You remind me of someone i know, hmmm he's a Real Live Preacher, yeah, that's it... You know he loves you. My name is jeremy and i live in Montreal. I've got ya on my blog as well. I enjoyed Dancin Joe, oh and bunny too. I laughed my self silly. Glad to make another RLP acquaintance. You are just like your brother. you both write the same way. You see the goodness in man and animal. a very noble quality, St. Francis comes to mind.
Peace upon your home.
Jeremy
Montreal

Anonymous said...

Thank you for Dancing Joe. It made a for a wonderful, cheering end to an otherwise long, dreadful day.