Friday, November 26, 2004

Sorry Big Bird

I think it was somewhere between second and third grade that I lost my fascination with Sesame Street. I don’t remember exactly what caused me to stop watching. Maybe I gave in to peer pressure, maybe I had other things to do. Maybe I just outgrew it. Who knows. For whatever reason I stopped watching Sesame Street until after I became a parent.

Being an elementary school teacher, I see hints most every day that Sesame Street is alive and doing well. Everything from the songs I hear students singing on the way to recess, to pictures of Elmo on t-shirts and lunchboxes.

However, by the time students get into third and fourth grade they’ve all but forgotten about the loveable cast from the PBS neighborhood, or simply changed channels to watch a flashy band of spacemen defeat unbelievable villains with the help of an amazing laser-light show and some wild pyrotechnics.

At least I thought they had forgotten.

My school is broken down into three student populations. We have Primary, which is kindergarten to second grade. Next is Intermediate, which is third and fourth grade. At the top of the food chain are the fifth and sixth graders known as Upper.

In case you haven’t been in a classroom since you were a student, school is different these days, at least in my classroom. We don’t have rows of desks with the teacher’s desk up at the front and a podium for the teacher to lecture behind. We have tables and chairs with students working in different locations all around the classroom at their own pace. And my school takes great pride in the very “Montessori-ish” way in which it runs.

Because of the way the school operates we don’t really have problems with kids passing notes in school. I mean why pass a note when you could just go over and talk to the person.

A few years ago when I taught in Upper, there was a young Upper teacher, Ms. G. She was fresh out of college, full of energy and very cute. She was a popular teacher at my school with students and faculty members alike, but it wasn’t hard to tell that her biggest fans were the fifth and sixth grade boys.

This was one of the few times in my entire teaching career I actually intercepted a note in mid pass. I was walking between the tables on my way to help a student, when a boy, who wasn’t trying to hide his actions at all, thrust a note across the aisle I was walking in without looking back. The boy he was trying so desperately to communicate with wasn’t really paying attention, so the note passers hand, along with the note, sat waving like a flag on a windy day.

I grabbed the note, shoved it in my pocket, told the boys to get back to work and went on to help the other student.

I was in the lounge for lunch when I stuck my hand in my pocket and found the note again. Curious to discover what piece of business was so important that it had to be discussed on a scrap of paper during class, I opened the note.

It said something like this:

- Did you see Ms. G. today?

- Yes I did! And I liked what I saw…A LOT!

(The next line changed the way I would see Sesame Street forever.)

- Thanks to her I’ve had a Big Bird all day!

I laughed as I read the note aloud to everyone in the lounge.

Then I shook my head and said, “Sorry Big Bird.”



Note: I never discussed the note with either boy. I'm sure they hope that I didn’t read the note and that it just got thrown away. And I wonder how long they watched for the sign. The sign that means the difference between a note that had been thoughtlessly cast aside and a note that had not only been read, but shown to Ms. G.

Those boys are in high school now and part of me hopes they still wonder about whatever happened to that note. I think about that day and laugh out loud…because so did Ms. G.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Real Live Preacher posting anonymously because he won't give Blogger the satisfaction of setting up a freakin blog account just so he can leave a comment.

-------------

Hey man, help me understand this because I see several possibilities. Is "Having a Big Bird" a new expression that has just passed me by, like "woody" and "boner" were unfamiliar to my dad?

Or did this kid just get mixed up. He wanted to type big boner, but was writing quickly and wrote big bird by mistake.

OR,

Is this just a very creative kid who decided to make up his own euphemism? If so, I REALLY hope it catches on.

rlp

Hugh said...

RLP,

I think it's like "woody" and "boner" were for dad.
Had he ever heard these words?
Sure.

Had he ever heard these words used in this context?
No way!

For me, the scales have fallen from my eyes and I'll never be able to watch Sesame Street the same way again...

Anonymous said...

We have a family in our town who's last name is Bonar. This family has lived around here as long as I can remember and it never even dawned on me to associate their last name with a boner until one of the Bonar boys got married and his new wife insisted they change the pronunciation of Bonar (boner) to Bonar (bon-are).

What is up with the new log in process at Blogger? What a pain.

Aola

Hugh said...

I'm not sure what is up with the registration for comments. I'll check my settings and see if I screwed something up.

I'll also try leaving a comment from school so I can see what happening.

Sorry,

Hugh

Anonymous said...

So there I was, enjoying a laugh over Big Bird, when suddenly Aola brings back a never-really-forgotten memory of my own "Sesame Street Days."

Susan Bonar was a serious crush for me in grade school. I'm sure she's not related to whomever Aola mentioned, but the name was the same. So serious was the crush that a young friend and I rode our "stingray" bicycles for a couple of hours through the snow along a back-country road near Munford, Tennessee, just to stare across a snow-covered cotton field at her house.

I seriously doubt she ever knew either about the crush or about our visit. I never talked to her, even at school; I simply stared. And I doubt anyone from the house saw us across the field; so far away were we that I think we were actually drooling over her father that day.

Ahhhh, the memories.

Thanks to both of you for bringing them back!

-- Rick from Unspun™