Saturday, December 24, 2011

7 Degrees


It’s funny what a difference 7 degrees can make. 

If you have 7 degrees from universities, that boosts your credibility.

If you have 7 degrees less than 360, you don’t quite have a circle.

If you have 7 degrees lower on your thermostat, you’re sleeping in a cold room.

I came home from school last Wednesday (12/14/11) and noticed a slight chill in the air.  Thanks to our programmable thermostats, I just assumed it wasn’t’ time for the heat to come back on so I didn’t give it a second thought.  

I had been home a couple of hours when I realized something was wrong, and of course by this time it was almost 6:00pm, so there was no way to get anyone there before Thursday.

The repair guy, Ryan, shows up on Thursday (12/15/11) and discovers we have a bad blower motor.  Not a huge problem, fairly easy to replace, not too expensive.  However, they can’t find one Dallas, and it will have to be ordered.  Should be here in a week (12/22/11).  I’m sorry, but we live in Dallas, Texas.  This is a fairly large metropolitan area, and you’re telling me these guys can’t put their hands on a blower motor for a Lennox furnace???  Turns out… they can’t.

To our surprise it shows up on Monday (12/19/11).  Ryan comes back and spends, what seems like to me, a long time up in the attic.  When he reemerges he informs me that they sent the wrong motor.  It looks the same, but it is 240 volts and is designed for Canada’s electrical systems. 

It wasn’t too bad at first, but now we’re down in the 30’s. 

On Friday morning (12/23/11) our thermostat read 55 degrees.  And baby, it was cold.  I bought some space heaters and after about 30 minutes the temperature was at 62 degrees.  So I think we’re going to make it until next Tuesday (12/27/11).

Like I said, it’s funny what a difference 7 degrees can make. 


No comments: