Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Summertime Misconceptions

“Man, it must be nice to have the whole summer off!”


I just finished my 11th year of teaching and I wouldn’t trade my occupation for anything in the world.

When I first got into this field I had dreams of long glorious summers filled with nothing but fun and relaxation. However, I quickly learned that my summers are not nearly as glorious and fun filled as I had imagined. Summers are simply a break.

Growing up summer was basically time off from any and all responsibility. I got to sleep late, play hard, stay out late and then sleep late again the next day.

Sure, I had to cut the yard and keep my room fairly clean, but all of that was fairly trivial. As I got into high school, I would work during the day and pick up my lazy routine each night. But summer jobs for a teenager are nothing if not easy. You go, work your assigned hours and then go home. There’s nothing to take home and think about later.

I grew up with a father who is a pastor. I knew that sometimes the phone rings in the middle of the night. I also understood that when it did, Dad was probably going to have get up and leave. You can’t be a pastor and leave your work at the office, because you’re never off duty.

In many ways teaching is like that.

Sure, I take papers and report cards home on occasion to grade and fill out, but that’s not what I’m talking about. My lessons and my class dynamics are forever in my mind. These thoughts aren’t passively filed back somewhere under Other or To-Do. Oh, no, they’re right they’re in the forefront actively taking up space.

“Man, it must be nice to have the whole summer off!” If I’ve heard it once I’ve heard it a thousand times, but that’s a comment made by people who do not understand.

They do not understand that I pour myself into teaching every day.
They do not understand that I can’t just pop down to the bathroom whenever I want.
They do not understand that I can’t sit idly by while a student’s home life falls to pieces.
They do not understand that for nine months I eat, I drink, I sleep and I breathe teaching.

They do not understand.

So what are summers?

Summers are simply a break. Two months that I get to be only a husband, only a father, only a person who’s getting a much-needed break from an otherwise very hectic existence.

Summer is time for me revitalize and get ready for next year.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It must be nice to have the whole summer off" ranks right up there with, "It must be nice to only have to worik on Sunday."

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this break is the only thing keeping you guys sane. I hope you have a GREAT summer.

gordon

nikki said...

Thanks for this post.
I hadn't been able to put into words how I felt about taking the summer off, but I can now.
You said that beautifully.

grandma1 said...

I found your blog through real live preacher, which I enjoy, as a former educational employee and a former cruiser, I can relate to your blog. My sons blog is anothercaptainslog.blogspot.com. He is presently teaching and has a novel posted on his blog you might try him.

grandma1 said...

I found your blog through real live preacher, which I enjoy, as a former educational employee and a former cruiser, I can relate to your blog. My sons blog is anothercaptainslog.blogspot.com. He is presently teaching and has a novel posted on his blog you might try him.