Saturday, December 12, 2009

In Search of Neon

And so I’ve got this very creative friend…Let's just call him K-Dog.

K-Dog is forever pulling out some new thing he’s into that just exudes creativity. His latest thing is neon signs.

He told me about his fascination with neon a few months ago.

“What I do is find some cool, old neon sign, take a picture of it, and then I can digitally rebuild it. The whole process is really amazing!”

At first I was intrigued and curious. I like neon as much as the next guy, or at least I thought I did. Come to find out, K-Dog will research each sign to find out its history. He’ll know things like when and where it was made, when it was placed on the building and probably even the brand and size of boots worn by the workmen who installed it.

For some, like the signs on motel chains such as Holiday Inn, he tries to find out where any of the surviving neon signs might still be up and working.

K-Dog is a neon nut!

I’ve only seen a couple of his digital, neon re-creations, but I was blow away.

I know of two really cool neon signs here in Dallas that K-Dog hasn’t seen. One is pretty nice, the other one is really amazing. I’m not going to say anything more about them, because K-Dog and I are going to go on a Dallas Neon search sometime over the Christmas break. And since K-Dog is one of the few readers of my blog, I don’t want to give it away.

However, rest assured that I’ll post some before and after pictures of any of the neon signs we happen to find that K-Dog ends up rebuilding.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're an awesome friend.

Period.

Anonymous said...

tell K-dog try to make a neon sign of a hipo drinking dr. pepper