Monday, July 20, 2009

Randy, my closest Canadian friend

So we’re in Cabo. We get up in the morning and head down to the breakfast buffet at around 8:30 – 9:00. I know you’re thinking that’s way too early to be getting up on vacation, but for some reason we were up, so why not.

Anyway, we’d go down, eat breakfast then head out and find a chair by one of the pools. PTH (Prime Tanning Hours) are 10:00am – 2:00pm, so we pretty much had that covered.

But back to breakfast. The buffet breakfast ended at like 11:30, so we were by far some of the first ones there, and the large room was pretty much empty when we were there. Don’t get me wrong, there were people, but the size of the room allowed for people to be seated fairly far apart.

We sit down, order our juice and coffee, then we head over to get our food. Did I mention it was all included? It was kind of like being on cruise, only without the lifeboat drill and the constant rocking…but I digress.

When we get back to our table, it was a two-topper with a second two-topper only inches away that could easily be pulled together to accommodate a party of four, there are two people sitting at the table only inches from our own. A bit of a surprise, with all the other tables around, but I just shrugged and said hello.

Randy and his wife, whose name I can’t remember were fun breakfast companions. Randy is about six foot-five, with a white flattop and one of those black cable design tattoos on his arm.

They’re from Canada and so the weather was extremely different for them. We were laughing about something when Randy told me I look like his doctor back home. So from then on whenever we ran into our new Canadian buddies, Randy called me Doc.

After breakfast we were sitting by the pool when I said, “You know, Randy is probably my closest Canadian friend.”

We both laughed and I had the strange desire to say

”No way eh?”


No comments: