Friday, July 03, 2009

Picky Trash-man???

Dallas has those big grey cans that either gets grabbed via remote-control by the driver then hoisted up and dumped, or they have a couple of guys who pull the cans over to a lift on the back of the truck.

In our old neighborhood, we had the driver/remote-control system and it didn’t matter what I put in that can. As long as the top closed, I could have put a person in there and nobody would be the wiser. (I’m not admitting to anything here, I’m just saying…)

In our new neighborhood, we have the guys pulling cans to the truck.

So I’m heading down the driveway just as the trash truck pulls up to empty our can. They’re blocking the driveway, so I just sit in my car and watch.

The guy gets to our can, opens it and looks inside. He shoots a half-frown glance in my direction, then reaches in and pulls out some pieces of wood and throws them on the sidewalk. Next, shaking his head, he yanks my can over to the lift on the truck.

I was dumbfounded.

By definition trash is: discarded, unwanted, or worthless material or objects.

This was a trash-man working on a trash-truck, does he get to decide (for me) what materials or objects are worthless or unwanted? Or shouldn’t he, by definition, simply pick up the objects I deem to be “trash” and haul them away?

The gauntlet has been thrown down, but I promise you this…somehow, someway these few boards I have WILL be taken by this picky trash-man.

Once again, I’ll keep you posted.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be fair to the trash guys and their machinery, one may be inclined to ask whether we're talking abut presswwod, common pine, or hardwood? I would guess the later could create some un-pulverizing issues for the compression apparatus. Not making excuses for the frowning, judgemental rubbish collectors -

I'm just sayin'.

I guess when you go from a regular guy's neighborhood to the high-tone, multi-wooded ceiling, Mediterraneanly landscaped, TetrisCouched, poolside cabana retreat style that you currently reside in - there will have to be some "areas of adjustment".

Hugh said...

If one were inclined to ask about the type(s) of wood that were being discarded, my reply would be a combination of both pressed, and hard woods. Not an abundance of either, but rather a small, easily compressed combination of both types of wood.

And I guess I just didn't expect any of my "areas of adjustment" to have anything to do with trash disposal.

I'm just saying...