Wednesday, July 08, 2009

My Car Got Hit...

Yesterday, I’m running some errands with my daughter and we stop at Walgreen’s to pick up a prescription plus some last minute camp things for her. We walk out door and the first thing I notice is a huge white scrape down the back of my car.

I was livid!

I don’t know how you are about your cars, but taking care of mine is a big deal to me. I might go for weeks without washing them, but that’s about it. I think it comes from working as a mechanic in high school and college, but the fact of the matter is things like this on cars is a HUGE deal to me.

I get to the front of my car…there’s no note from a sorry and regretful driver. There is nothing or no one anywhere around. After being calmed down by my daughter, thank you Macy for keeping me from flying off the handle, I angrily, but calmly drove home. If she hadn’t been there I probably would have gotten a speeding ticket too…so thanks again.

When I got home I reassessed the damage and found not only scrapes, but also a nice sized dent just behind the door. The fact that the dent has two creases going in different directions suggests that this person (and I use that term lightly) hit my car, stopped and had to readjust their wheels and then move again. This is on the passenger side of my vehicle, so there is no way this person didn’t know they had hit my car.

I’ve only hit a car in a parking lot one time. However, I managed to find a scrap of paper and leave the guy my name and phone number. He called a day or two later and was so impressed that I had left my name that he said just forget about it. It was an old truck with several other dings, but I left my information all the same.

Now for the “glass half full” assessment:

  1. The damage goes right up to the door, but the door only has a small scratch. Damage on doors usually hikes up the price of repair.
  2. Also, after using some rubbing compound to clean the white paint off, the once glaring, almost neon, blemish on the side of my SUV is now only marginally noticeable.

BUT IT’S STILL THERE!!!

Next week I’ll go to Herb’s Paint and Body to get an estimate, then decide if I even want to speak with my insurance company. I can’t imagine I will, but you never know.

And to the “person” who hit my car:

If by some strange and quirky twist of fate you actually can read, and you actually happen across my blog, and actually are able to figure out that I am talking about you, and you actually feel some remorse for the grief you have caused me…

Don’t call, don’t write, don’t try to contact my in any way. You see, with me, it is too late to do the right thing. You missed that chance when you drove off without leaving a note.

However, what you can do is this. The next time you hit a car in a parking lot, take the high road and leave THAT person a note.

This is the only apology I will accept.


Just me on my soapbox.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your car. Frustrating isn't it? Would like to offer just one piece of advise to the honest folk out there who would not think twice about leaving a note.

Be sure you document (by photos if at all possible)the damage you have caused. Use your cell phone if necessary.

I backed into a truck in a parking lot. I put a small dent in the bumper. The owner was nowhere to be found. I left a note containing pertinent info - name, insurance company, etc. A week later my insurance company notified me of the major claim the truck owner had filed. For damage done to tailgate, tail lights, and a rear tire. None of which I had done. If it wasn't for his honest girlfriend letting the police know about the truck owner doing the other damage himself (after a night of drinking)I would have had a major jump in my policy rate.

So, be a good citizen and leave the note. Better still, be a smart citizen and document, document, document, and then leave a note.

-annah-

Hugh said...

Thanks, I had never thought of that.

Hugh