Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Time to Share...

I’m all for sharing. In my line of business you have to be. I’m forever saying, “I’m sure someone at your table will be more than happy to share with you.” And whether it’s a certain color of crayon, an eraser, scissors, or a glue stick, having students who are willing to share makes life in the classroom much, much easier.

However, I have to draw the line somewhere. Don’t I? I mean, you’re more than welcome to borrow my pencils, scissors, or glue sticks. And hey, I’m happy to loan you any and all the tools you need. (And I’ve got a pretty nice collection!) But if you come asking to borrow my clothes…well pal, that’s a whole different bucket of dead frogs.

Not borrowing clothes…I think it’s a guy thing. At least it’s a thing for this guy. Never in my life would I have dared to ask a friend if I could borrow his clothes. Okay sure, I borrowed clothes from Real Live Preacher from time to time. However, he’s my brother and besides, I don’t think he ever knew I had them.

Girls however, the ones I was around growing up, at least the vocal ones, and now my daughter, seem to have no problem loaning clothes.

Maybe it’s a result of needing a different pair of shoes to go with each outfit. Maybe it's a kind of female bonding ritual that I just don't understand. Maybe it's just the way God created the universe. Whatever the reason, girls just seem to enjoy lending and borrowing clothes.

Recently, a friend of my daughter’s called and asked to borrow a pair of shoes. Not only that, but she needed them for church that morning! So we took them to church so she would have shoes to wear with her new outfit.

Maybe my not understanding about sharing clothes stems from the fact that I don’t understand the whole female idea behind buying clothes.

What do I mean, “maybe?” I’m quite sure I don’t.

If you need a new pair of shoes to go with a new outfit, wouldn’t it make sense to buy the shoes you need when you buy the outfit?

Or is it that, when shopping, you only have to know that one of your friends has shoes that match the new outfit?

Whichever mindset is correct, this a whole new world for me. With each new day I learn more and more (sometimes way more than I want to) about being the parent of a teenage girl...and I'm not even there yet!



By the way, does anyone have brown ropers, size 10?

Because I got these new pants and well...

1 comment:

Hugh said...

Well, you may be obligated to try...but that's about it.