Thursday, September 08, 2005

A Day to Remember

September 8. It’s not a date that really stands out all that much. For most of us it passes by like any regular day. However, for members of my family, if you tack 1990 to the end it suddenly becomes a day to remember.

September 8, 1990, is the day my wife and I were in the car accident that changed our lives forever. I wrote about the accident in I Lost Part of my Life and some of the issues I’ve had to learn to deal with in Closed Head Injuries and Anger.

This is the first year I can remember where, in the days preceding September 8, I didn’t think about the upcoming anniversary at all. This morning I got to school and was in the lounge reading the day's announcements when I noticed the date. The crazy thing is, I had to double-check myself to make sure I had the right date.

I've always wondered if there would ever come a day when I might be able to really thank God for an accident that nearly cost me my life. And I have to admit…I was quite sure that day would never come.

However, my life has many wonderful aspects that I do not believe would be there if not for a slick road, a left turn and a truck.

Thank you, Lord. Thank you for a day to remember.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugh,

Your Mother and I thought about you on the 8th and thanked God for yours and Melissa's lives. They could have come to an end fifteen years ago.

Dad

Michael said...

Coming to terms with "the gift of suffering" is hard enough...explaining it is even tougher.

There's something to be said for forgetting too...maybe it's a milestone when we suddenly realize we're looking forward more often than back.

Peace,

M

Anonymous said...

We are blessed by God through you... maybe even more after than before - even though before was pretty kickin'.

Riloto wue Mugabe mi amigo.

M&M