Saturday, September 17, 2005

Inside a Third Grade Mind

I have several students who, on the outside, seem to be very typical, very run-of-the-mill kids. However, I see the occasional hint, the occasional clue that tells me life is not fun or carefree. A third grader shouldn’t have to leave school wondering if they are going to have dinner. A third grader shouldn’t have to spend time worrying how the rent will get paid. A third grader shouldn’t have to do anything but be a third grader.


Inside a Third Grade Mind

I climbed inside
A third grade mind
With no idea
What I might find

I found the most
Miraculous place
It was quite huge
Without much space

Excitement was
Most everywhere
Wild images tossed
Here and there

Fun flowing thoughts
Were all around
And happiness was
Was all I found

I realized that
I longed to find
A life like in this
Inside my mind

I strolled around
In dream-like daze
When something horrid
Met my gaze

This life that I
Had thought to be
So full of fun
And fancy-free

Turned out to be
A quite harsh place
And as for joy
I saw no trace

The fun I’d seen
Did not remain
And as I searched
I just found pain

This third grade mind
Had one hard task
For third grade pain
Is hard to mask



No comments: