Tuesday, April 12, 2011

School Poem

About this time every year, I start writing poems and emailing them to my entire school faculty.  A few people never even open the email.  However, well more than half of my fellow teachers not only read my poems, but they tell me that they look forward to them.  I decided to post them here.


So enjoy!



Sometimes without warning, my brain starts to write,
It’s an awful compulsion, I’ve learned not to fight

So I sit at computer, or pick up a pen,
And that’s when the terrible mind games begin

From hither and yon, words pop into my mind,
And I cannot escape, I can’t leave them behind

And there are some people, and here’s what they say,
 “I wish that for me words would happen that way!”

But I tell you, my friends, it isn’t all dreamy,
With bright painted flowers, and spas that are steamy

And it isn’t carefree like our dear Dr. Suess,
With his nice dipple-dongers, or the bright schinickel-shnoose

How I wish I had bongers, or wee-willy-winkers,
And glangers and glongers or fee-filly-finkers

But those kinds of words are just too hard to find,
Cause the words that I have are regular kind

Oh sure I’ve got TAKS, and next year I’ll have STAAR,
And I know there is Lesher, Goncalves and Barr

But I need something with just a wee-bit more spice,
An old fashioned scandal, is sounding quite nice

So get out there and dig up some dirt for me please,
That’s right! Work the streets, see whose palm you can grease

For the one thing that makes my poems even odder,
Is having to write them without any fodder

Allow me to close with these words about TAKS,
There are just two more weeks, lift a glass and relax


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you can tell the ole gears are turning in that talented head once again! Once TAKS was in the rear view mirror - BOOM! A creative post. Seeing the end of the school year just around the corner - BOOM! A creative poem.

Buckle in you FAT (Fans of 'A Team') cause he's about to joyously grace us more often with his Muse-ical Wordsmithing of Awesomeness! If you love to read Hugh's poems, raise your hand! Ohh - OK, ok - I see ya! Yep, me too.

Hugh said...

Well, you're almost right. The TAKS test isn't actually behind us...YET!

But the countdown has begun my friend, and 4/27 at approximately 3:00 PM it will be over forever!