Sunday, April 24, 2011

End of TAKS

I don't think it's big surprise to anyone that I'm not a fan of the TAKS test.  I'm all for accountability, but a flawed system is a flawed system.  That being said, here's my latest Last TAKS Year poem.


Enjoy,
Hugh






 It’s funny how sometimes,

At this time of year
I start to write poems,
Without any fear

I’ll write them with gusto,
I’ll write them with strength
I’ll write them with laughter,
I’ll write them with length

I write about people,
Of every persuasion
I write about people,
From every nation

I write and I write,
And then I write some more
I find that I write,
Sometimes when I snore

But this year’s been different,
Just a wee-little bit
I find that my writing,
Has gone straight to poop!

And I’m not sure what’s different,
I’m not sure what’s changed
Could it be that my students,
All seem quite deranged???

When you can’t take a breath,
And your mind stay at ease
Then you walk out to recess,
But you can’t feel the breeze

If you try to eat lunch,
But you can’t keep it down
And it seems that your face,
Always has a frown

Could mean that it’s time,
For a fun restful break
A nice change of our pace,
Is what we all should take

YES, after next Thursday,
Our TAKS days are through
And I’ve got a plan,
For just what we should do

We’ll each grab a bottle,
Then rush out the door
We lift them up high,
And then start to pour

A bottle with water,
Or soda is fine
But it could have some liquor,
Like vodka or wine

Whatever your passion,
Whatever your taste
You should drink it all,
And let none go to waste

But we’ll each raise a glass,
In the air let it linger
And bid farewell to TAKS,
With a raised middle finger


No comments: