Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Shopping Delimma

I was at the grocery store a couple of days ago.  I had my cart with my milk, my bread, my peaches, my usual stuff.  I was standing on the ice cream aisle trying to find the Blue Bell Natural Bean Vanilla, not the Homemade Vanilla.  I mean, the choice between Homemade and Natural Bean is a no brainer!  

I’m standing there grumbling to myself about how they always have a thousand rows of Homemade, but then they’ll have only two or three containers of Natural Bean when I heard this conversation: 

Woman:  “Blue Bell is his favorite and it’s his birthday.” 

Man:  “But it’s twice as much as this kind.  If we get Blue Bell we’ll have to put the juice boxes back.” 

Glancing into their cart I saw three items, one of which was a small package of six to eight generic brand juice boxes that might have cost $3.00 and my heart sank.  

Without looking up, I quickly grabbed my ice cream and rushed to checkout.  

I felt bad, but I’m not sure why.  

Did I feel bad for listening in on such a personal discussion?  Or did I feel guilty for having more?  Maybe I felt guilty for not offering to help.  

Whatever the reason, I felt badly for this young couple.  

I’ve never had those kinds of money issues.  I know everyone has those kinds of money issues, but mine have never been at that level.  I’ve never had to choose between ice cream and juice boxes for my child’s birthday party. 

I did some research, and while my annual income is not even close to the top incomes in Dallas, it’s also nowhere near the poverty level.  After my quick research I was a bit ashamed for wanting a larger salary.  

After all is said and done, I’m not sure what all this says about me.  

Maybe it says I’m rich.  Maybe it says I’m spoiled.  Maybe it says I’m blind to financial situation that the bulk of the world is in.  

I don’t know…I guess I’ve got something to think about.   

  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my. I've had this hit me as we can easily feed ourselves though prices have skyrocketed.
Two can make do better than a family of children.
I do think having this to think about is good for us, but your tender, caring heart comes through to me.
I love you,
M in GTown

P.S. I have to search for my coffee ice cream.