Monday, May 19, 2008

End of Year Poems...11 Days Left

Well, the school year is winding down and I have a little tradition this time of year.

I think it was six or seven years ago that I started a kind of a poetry countdown of the year. I write a poem for each day in the end of year countdown. Most of them are funny and all are a bit on the bizarre side. All of the poems are filled with words of wisdom and inspiring thoughts. Each cleverly disguised in my twisted ramblings.

I have no idea how many teachers at my school actually read them, but I email them to the entire campus all the same.

Monday, May 18 will be day 12, but that means there are actually 11 more days. So the poem I’m sending out today will be the “11 Days Left” poem.

I’m not exactly sure why, but I decided to post them here for your enjoyment/bewilderment. Who knows, there may be a teacher out there who stumbles across my words and not only feels inspired, but who now has the strength to face his or her final few days.

Or more likely you’ll read these and think, “Man, he really is strange!”



11 Days Left

We’re down to the wire,
And it’s getting quite short
So it’s time for some words,
And a rhyme...of a sort

To our MHE nubies,
Let me give some advice
But listen up now,
Cause I aint’ talkin’ twice!

At this time of year,
The kids start to get crazy
And for teachers the world,
Starts to spin and get hazy

Now don’t get all worried,
No, don’t get too stressed
Just get up each morning,
Take shower...get dressed

For what you are feeling,
Is normal you see,
And you’re sure to get through,
If you listen to me

Each day I’ll write poems,
With some sanity clues
They’re hints and ideas,
To help fight the blues

And while I’m not a doctor,
It will become crystal clear
That the drug I prescribe,
Looks and smells much like beer!

But forget about beer,
I sure know I will
Lest we follow the path,
Of that sub from Parkhill

I can hear you all saying,
“Hugh, stop being a goon!”
But please keep on reading,
I’ll make my point soon

Life is much, much too short,
So what I have to say,
Is you’ve got to find balance
And then keep it that way

Without proper balance,
Of life and of school
You may start to loose focus
And begin to get cruel

Please heed these odd words,
For they help in odd ways
But there’s one thing for sure,
Just eleven more days!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, teachers will heed this I'm sure,
They are looking for anything to get their minds
away from their hectic days. Glad you are
posting them. This retired teacher will have memories
for sure of the end of the year.
Hang in there! Love, Mom

akinleye oluwaseun said...

O.M.G......pls keep it on .....i love u...!!!!