Thursday, January 06, 2005

Back to School Blues

I don’t know what it is about going back to school after the Christmas break that makes it hard.

It could be that you go away tired, get a little rest, but return before your body and mind have really had time to heal. It could be that your students, being younger, have all the time they need to rebuild their bodies and minds, and they come back expecting you to feel just as refreshed as they do. It could be the fact that you have just enough time away from the kids that you let your guard down, so your first few days back are like a sucker punch to the gut. Or it could just be that your 40-year-old body is feeling its age…nah, that couldn't be it.

Anyway, whatever the reason, I, along with several of my peers, have had a hard time getting our teaching engines started and back in gear this year.

Now this wouldn’t be so bad if it only affected my school life. However, mine is a complicated interrelated factory. If production stops or even slows down in one area of life’s factory, all the areas of my life grind to a sudden halt.

I realized today that I’ve been neglecting my blog. I enjoy writing, but there are times when it has to take a backseat to, well, everything.

I’ll post something ASAP.

Thanks

Hugh

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Real Live Preacher,

Your life is backwards in this way, sort of like my life is backwards when it comes to weekends. Most people look forward to the weekend. For me, it's work time. Monday is my favorite day of the week.

In my case, sending the kids back to school is the wonderful moment. We're exhausted and want to give them little darlings back to you guys.

aola said...

We homeschool so I only have my 3 but I am always ready to get back to school after the holidays. Maybe that is because the holidays are more work for me than teaching. I just keep thinking... springtime is on the way.

Michael said...

A male teacher in their 40's who isn't a coach or a principal (or both) is a rare thing indeed. I count myself in that minority.

Anonymous said...

feel free to come on in and check it out anytime. :)

Anonymous said...

feel free to come on in and check it out anytime. :)