Wednesday, December 29, 2004

New Car

In the 24 years that I have been driving I’ve owned, and co-owned ten cars. My first has always been my favorite, and she was a 1974 Chevrolet Camaro, and I bought her in 1981. I loved driving my Camaro, and any excuse to drive, was a good excuse to drive. In 1983 Chevrolet came out with Camaro’s third body style and, in my opinion, the Camaro has never been the same. However, Chevy may still pull a classic Camaro shaped rabbit out of its hat one of these days. Who knows?

I’ve never owned a vehicle that even came close to bringing me the joy that my Camaro did. Maybe it was the first car mystique. Maybe it was the 350 cubic inches with the Holly 4 bbl carburetor. Maybe it was the rear tires that would burn rubber and smoke with only a mere tap on the accelerator. (A fact that caused me to purchase more than my fair share of tires for that baby) Whatever the reason, I really enjoyed just being behind the wheel and driving somewhere…anywhere, it didn’t matter why and I didn’t care. A joy that I have never experienced since.

I wrecked my Camaro in 1983, two days before graduating from high school. My first love gone, I was sure I’d never enjoy driving the same way again.

Monday, December 27, 2004 was driving’s first real spark for me in 21 years. With the help of my father-in-law, who is possibly the world’s best car shopper, I purchased a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer, and while I’ve owned about eight cars since my beloved Camaro, she is only my second true auto love.

When I climb behind the wheel I’m magically transported back to a time when any excuse to drive, was a good excuse to drive. There’s no first car mystique, no 350 cubic inches, no 4 bbl carburetor and certainly no smoking tires, but the feeling’s back all the same.

It’s been a long time, but I think I’d better head to the store for a Coke or some Tic-Tacs, or whatever. There’s bound to be something at the store I really need.

Maybe I’ll figure it out on the way.



6 comments:

Michael said...

My dream car has always been a 1968 Chevy Camaro with the two big strips down the hood. A convertible of course. Manual transmission so you can feel the power.

Cool post.

Michael

The Teller said...

Mine was a 1980 SE Firebird 4 speed. I just looked good in it. I remember, "Hey whatcha doing tonight?"

"Just driving"

"Cool, can I go with?"

Hugh said...

If you’re a Camaro purist then Michael is right on the money. I actually got to sit behind the wheel of a 1969 Camaro that had a big block 396 with a six-pack. I’m not sure if it came that way from the factory engine, but it was sweet.

My first love was my ’74, but if I ever revisit the land of Camaro ownership, I’ll have to seriously consider something in the 60’s.

Michael said...

My first car was a 1967 Camaro...I never really loved it though.

I wrecked in twice.

Eventually I sold it for 100 dollars and a dog.

I never really loved that dog either.

Hmmm..

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm sad to tell you that the reason that you have that Trailblazer has nothing at all to do with replacing some Camaro--your father-in-law and I were determined that our granddaughter would have the appropriate vehicle to look "cool"--or whatever the best descriptor is nowadays--when you drive her to pick up her friends or her mother is in charge of transportation of the Girl Scout group. It comes from the fact that as we were growing up our families never had the trendy station wagon of that era--we were vehicle deprived children. Oh, the "master car deal maker" can tell you great stories about the Corvette or Thunderbird he owned later in life, but there is nothing like the thrill of having your mom or dad drive up to school in The Car of the moment--now an SUV, right? Once upon a time when I was a younger struggling single mom, my mother, Gran, came to me and said that she and Daddy had talked it over, and they really wanted to buy a station wagon for me and my daughter, who is now your wife. I said that we really didn't need them to do that and turned down the offer as extravagant. I know now that I denied them a great pleasure. Isn't it great that as grandparents we have the joy of seeing our children enjoy things that we've never had--vicarious pleasures--oh,yeah? The front seat of that new car may be yours, sir, but the rows of seats behind you belong to the granddaughter. You just keep making the payments and enjoying the part that belongs to you and we'll keep reliving our childhoods in the back seats. Please let us ride with you.

aola said...

My first car (1970) was a dark green 1968 Dodge Charger 440. WoW!
What a car that was. Way more car than ANY 16 year old ought to have.
These days my "dream" car is a big van with TV and headphone hook-ups for the kids. :)