Thursday, May 03, 2012

20 Days Left...

Years ago I started writing poems and emailing them to my grade level and or school.  Somehow a kind of end of year countdown started a few years ago.  I don't do every single day, I write when I'm inspired.  


I decided to post them here.  At least some of them.

Enjoy,
Hugh


20 Days Left

There’s a chance it’s just me,
But you may feel it too
Our clocks move quite slowly,
Up one minute back two

Each year at about now,
Our odd time dance gets loose
You feel like your head,
Is stuck in a noose

We know the steps well,
Though it’s not a line dance
You Waltz or you Tango,
You boot-scoot and prance

What makes each dance hard,
It the students these days
They’re bodies all move,
In peculiar ways!

When I say things like that,
You all think I sound old
It’s a damn metaphor!
So read on and don’t scold

But just when you think,
Things have gone on too long
Your feet start to ache,
And you’d like a new song

CG’s voice pipes in,
And she starts with her schpeel   
Then the dance floor gets restless,
The excitement you feel

The band plays its last tune,
As you glide round the floor
Then you kick those small backsides,
Right out the front door

Then you rest and prepare,
For tomorrow’s swaray
I never said “booze,”
But you like it that way

For I say every word,
With a nod and a wink
And you know that it’s time,
For a rather large drink

Kim’s growing potatoes,
That we’ll use in fun ways
They’ll be ready to drink,
In just 20 days!


No comments: