Sunday, September 04, 2011

Gary Update

On the first day of school I barged into Gary’s class (I set this up with the teacher ahead of time) and pointed straight at Gary.  

“Get out in the hallway young man, and you know exactly why!” I barked.

You could have heard a pin drop and all eyes were bouncing between Gary, his new teacher and me.  Looking a little startled, Gary shot a glance back to his teacher.  “You better do as he says,” And Gary followed me into the hall.

I turned around in the hallway and Gary had a grin from ear to ear.  “You’re just trying to fool me. I’m not really in trouble!  And he gave me a hug.  

We’ve had two weeks school, and I haven’t seen anything but a smile on Gary’s face.  This boy who was so cold and closed off has become a whole new person.  It is as if Gary has given himself permission to be a child again.  

According to his teacher, Gary has friends, is working hard and doing a good job.  School isn’t just a place his mother makes him go anymore, it’s a place he enjoys.  And as a teacher, that’s my biggest goal.  Students who enjoy being at school have fun learning.  And when you’re having fun learning…the possibilities are endless.

I do my best to check on Gary each day.  I told him to come see me if he needs anything, and we’ll figure it out. 

Gary should be proud.  

He’s come a long way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a tear in my eye - not sure if it's because of the follow up to Gary's situation or the fact that there's actually a new post in here! Either way, it makes me smile.

You will likely never know the impact you've made on Gary's life this side of glory. Probably even Gary would have a tough time verbalizing it, but just know; when you allow your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to guide your heart, actions and decisions, other hearts are softened with the outpouring of His unmistakable love.

You were perfectly set in time to potentially be a catalyst in his life and make an eternal difference. As a pretty wise dude once said, "Well done good and faithful servant!"

Real Live Preacher said...

Wow, this is amazing! You and your school have made a real difference in his life.

Anonymous said...

I agree wth Gordon. What a difference this has made and probably in you, too. What a new beginning for him. love M in georgetown