Tuesday, February 01, 2011

19 Degrees

I woke up at 5 o’clock this morning, made a cup of coffee and sat down in front of the TV. I knew, from watching the news Monday night, that there was a good chance that school would be canceled due to the weather. However, it was 35 degrees, so I really didn’t think it was going to happen.

To make a long story short, I got Tuesday off!

Melissa had some pretty important things happening at the hospital today. It was somewhere around 8:30 (she was walking out the door) when she got a message saying the morning meetings were canceled, but come in at noon. She left at about 11:30, and came home about an hour later. Turns out she only made it about five maybe ten miles before she had to turn around and slowly make her way home.

At 3:00, I made my way to he grocery store thinking that the roads had to be better. I mean, come on! It was afternoon and the sun was out.

I was wrong…

Turns out roads were covered in ice. There was some water in the tire grooves, but other than that it was solid ice. When I got to Kroger, the parking lot was a huge sheet of ice about half an inch think in some places. I got my few things, somehow got back to my car without falling down and carefully limped home.

After I got home I checked the weather app on my phone. The temperature was 19 degrees…the high for they day. Tomorrow’s forecast is low 13, with a high of 21.

I’ve been teaching for 17 years, and so far I’ve never missed two days in a row due to the weather.

Maybe this will be one for the record books.

I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: