Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Beauty That Is Sky Ranch

Sky Ranch is a Christian camp that has been around for years. It’s in Van Texas, a thriving metropolis with pert-near 1,000 residents, that’s only about 100 miles due east of Dallas. Not being from North Texas, I had never heard of either Sky Ranch or Van Texas. Not until 1987.

I was a senior in college, when a friend of mine talked me into applying for a summer camp counselor position at Sky Ranch. And so began my infatuation with this amazing place.

The summer of 1987 was a magical time. I had a blast as a counselor, and I learned a lot about who I was and what I wanted to do with my life. I also happened to meet the young lady who would, a mere year and a half later, become Mrs. Atkinson.

However, that was 23 years ago, and today, I picked my daughter up after she spent a week at Sky Ranch as a camper. She has been a camper at Sky Ranch before, but it was five or six years ago. And back then she simply went to Sky Ranch…the regular camp. This time she went to “Quest.”

Quest is a weeklong experience where they have the time of their lives doing all kinds of fun activities, but they also have at least four bible study times each day. They go to have fun, but also to explore what they believe about God and why. The counselors are a bit older than the regular Sky Ranch counselors, and my impression was a bit more grounded and confident in their own walk with the Lord. At least that was my impression after talking with them for a few minutes.

We hadn’t been there long when we met her counselor. She immediately begins telling us what a blessing it has been to spend the week with Macy. As well as how much she has learned from our daughter. She got tears in her eyes as she told us about our daughter.

I’m fighting back tears, (I actually did a pretty good job this time!) but she goes on and on with story after story about Macy and what an amazing girl she is. I’ve thought that for years, but come on isn’t thinking YOUR daughter is the greatest girl in the world, just part of being a father?

We found Macy standing in a crowd of teenagers all tearfully saying goodbye, and then it happened. One by one, each of the counselors and several of her fellow campers came up and just gushed about what a special person Macy is and what a blessing it had been to have Macy at camp this week.

After having been a Sky Ranch counselor, even if so very long ago, I know that when parents arrive what they need to hear is that their child is special and wonderful. Counselors look for whatever they can to brag about to make that child’s parents feel proud. But this was different…this was from the heart. These counselors and fellow campers recognized in Macy a quality that sets her apart. It is a quality that’s hard to define, but a pleasure to be around.

Sometimes as parents we need reminders. Reminders of not just what an awesome person your child is, but reminders of what an awesome person your child is becoming. Oh sure, we know they are, but it’s kind of like the crystal bowl that sits on our dining table. I know it’s beautiful, but it’s there 24/7. I’ll either walk right by without paying much attention, or I’ll complain about how dusty it is. However, when I take the time to pay attention, I’m always blown away by how gorgeous it really is.

So that brings us to the beauty that is Sky Ranch.

Sky Ranch took my child, showed her the time of her life and helped her mature in her faith. Then they gave her back to me and refreshed my awareness of what a gorgeous young lady my daughter really is... on the inside as well as on the outside!

Thank you Sky Ranch.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I loved this!
M in G-Town

Anonymous said...

Sky Ranch is a blessed place!! I am so excited to hear about Macy's week and how wonderful it is that others see what we have always seen with Macy! She is one of a kind....most precious of them all!

Your Sis!

chris witt, executive director sky ranch said...

Thanks for sharing. We love being a part of the journey with your family. Looking at your dates on working hear we missed working together by a year. I started in 86. Then came back in 89 and 90. Then full time in 92.