Tuesday, February 17, 2009

There's Something I'm Missing...

 It doesn’t happen often, well, not these days anyway, but every once in a while something pops up that reminds me I’m head injured. 

You would think after almost 19 years my life would have probably leveled out.  Everything that was going to be different would be different and everything that was going to be the same would be the same.  

At least that’s what you would think.  

That’s what I would think.  

Actually, that’s what I used to think.  

I don’t even know where we were, or what we were doing and I don’t even think it matters.  Whatever it was, I started laughing and that’s when it happened.  The look on Melissa’s face told me that something wasn’t quite right.  

“What?” 

“Your eyebrows!”  Came the startled reply.  “They just did that cute thing that they used to always do…you know...before the accident…” 

And my heart sank.  

It’s hard to face the fact that a character trait is missing.  It is especially hard when the character trait in question is something that your wife remembers was “cute.”  

She tried to show me, but to tell the truth I don’t even know exactly what it is that’s missing.  I mean really, how many times do you see your own eyebrows while you're laughing?  

I know I’m not exactly the same.  And really, wouldn’t I have changed anyway?  It’s been over 18 years!  

What gnaws at me is the fact that there’s something I’m missing. 



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it possible that after all these years some nerve(s) has been dormant and is restoring itself. I say this because Dad's doctors told him that some nerves would return soon after his surgery, but others could be gone or take years to heal.
Yes, you were injured, perhaps we all need to recall why you have become better than ever for all of us who lived through the miracle.
Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

You may want to frame this since it will be my first sincere post on your blog, but may I offer a different perspective. I never knew the pre-accident Hugh, but the one I know and have come to love like a brother has an infectious laugh, a wit nearly as sharp as my own, and a creative and biblical perspective on life that challenges me to look past what the world sees. I have no gauge on what may be missing from the old Hugh, but I'm a better person for being able to count you as a friend and am pretty content with this version.

Hugh said...

Thank you for your "different" perspective. It means a great deal to me.

What exactly do you mean by, "a wit NEARLY as sharp as my own"?

Anonymous said...

I couldn't help but jump in here when I read your blog entry here. I recognize the second posting, I think it's from the volleyball guy that fed you so much hilarious and creative content that (somehow) found its way into your blog. He sounds very sincere and while Hugh version 2.0 seems to be a blessing to his life, it appears he's not quite convinced that you are actually the funnier of the two. But that's just my take on the post...