Saturday, January 17, 2009

PS3 and Me

So I’ve got this PlayStation 3 (PS3).  It was a Christmas present a couple of years ago.  I don’t have all that many games, but the ones I do have are pretty addictive.  

Years ago a game called Wolfenstein got me hooked on first-person shooters.  However, I could only play against the computer, and once I beat that on the hardest level for the 500th time the game would pretty much lose its appeal. 

My newest game is called Call of Duty – World at War.  This game not only has the play against the computer mode, but it also has an online mode that is much more interesting.  Now I can play against people all over the world, and it is far more difficult!  

I logged on earlier this morning and was informed that there were 122, 849 people playing.  That’s larger than the population of most towns in Texas!  And this is only one of he hundreds of games that are played online all over the world.  

Relatively speaking, I haven’t played online all that much, but I can see why the childhood obesity rate in the USA is so high.  I mean why go out and ride my bike or play baseball when I can simply stay at home, go online and magically become whoever or whatever I want to be.  

I’m not sure, but if these games had been around when I was a kid, I’d probably be as big as a house right now.  

No comments: