Saturday, June 16, 2007

Dukes of Hazard

So we go to see the musical Chicago last night here in Dallas. On the way, Melissa is telling me some of the actors playing the major roles. I think she mentioned that Tom Wopat would be playing Billy Flynn, but I didn’t recognize his name. Now, if she had said Luke Duke…well that would have been another story.

We go in and Macy is look trying to decide which Chicago shirt she wants to buy, when I notice this guy standing next to the souvenir booth. The first thing that catches my eye is that fact that he’s wearing a hat. Not a big deal, but you don’t see many ball cap type hats at the Dallas summer musicals.

That’s when I noticed how much he looks like Luke Duke from the show Dukes of Hazard. Same facial features, only older. I keep glancing over, trying to decide if it’s him and wondering why, if it is in fact him, he would be in Dallas, of all places.

I’m paying for a shirt when the guy taking my money points to the guy and says, “He was on the Dukes of Hazard.”

Melissa leans over and said, “That’s Tom Wopat! He’s playing Billy Flynn.”

I shake his hand and say, “You know, I ruined my 1974 Camaro trying jump it like the General Lee.”

He shook his head and just said, “Not my fault..not my fault.”

The musical was great, and Tom Wopat did a really good job.

Even without jumping an orange car over a bumbling sheriff.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool to meet Luke Duke! I have heard he is a pretty good entertainer.

Janan

Dawn said...

I saw him several years ago in Annie Get Your Gun on Broadway. Believe it or not, his costar was Susan Lucci (who was filling in for Bernadette Peters). It was actually really good. Tom Wopat is a good singer and was an excellent performer.

Hugh said...

Yes, he really was good.

I read in the Playbill that he's been singing and dancing since he was about 10 years old.

It's just not what you expect from a "good-ol'-boy" like Luke Duke.