Sunday, March 25, 2007

Bar Mitzvah

Melissa, Macy and I had an unusual treat yesterday. We got to attend a bar mitzvah ceremony at Temple Emanu-El here in Dallas. Temple Emanu-El is a Reform Jewish community. I won’t pretend to know all the ins and outs of what that means, but suffice it to say, three gentiles felt both very welcomed and very comfortable being there.

This was Nick’s bar mitzvah. We got to know Nick and his family through a twisted web of circumstances. Nick is a friend of Macy’s that she met through the brother of her friend Casey. Casey’s parents have both worked with and been friends with Nick’s family for many years. A couple of years ago, after Casey’s family moved to our street, they started having semi-regular poker parties and it was at these parties that we first met Nick’s family.

Don’t ask me to think through that again!

Back to the bar mitzvah.

I wrote before about an interfaith worship service that Melissa and I attended at Temple Emanu-El here. It was at that service that I first encountered Rabbi David Stern. Rabbi Stern is truly an incredible person. (You can read about him here.) He is very personable, very friendly and very open-minded. Nothing like the picture of Rabbis that was painted in my mind by years of Southern Baptist Sunday school lessons.

What I was able to conclude was that this bar mitzvah was a special Shabbat Shalom service in which Nick, after much training, was able to help lead. Much of the service was in Hebrew, which I do not speak. However, using the prayer book, I was able to either follow along in English, or I could simply listen to and meditate on the Hebrew.

I don’t mind telling you that I found the whole service incredibly worshipful. Enough so, that I’m thinking about going back from time to time just to sit through a Shabbat Shalom service. I may even try to take Gordon next time he’s in Dallas.

Wouldn’t that be a kick!

1 comment:

Jim said...

If you've never seen it, Hugh, search out an old movie called "Lost Summer". It's about a Catholic boy who, in trying to avoid hell, determines converting a Jew will count for "points". I found it both humorous and a very refreshing approach to inter-faith relationships......