Monday, August 01, 2005

The Smile

While standing and minding my business one day,
A man who came up yelled, “Get out of my way!”

“Can’t you see that I’m busy?” he griped as he passed,
“I can see you’re a jerk!” right back at him I sassed

Now this altercation it set the day’s mood,
Cause the people I met were just downright rude

I would hear, “Move along” or “Shut up, you big creep,”
And they’d use other words where I’d have to say, “bleep”

And my day, it was turning out really quite bad,
So I sat down and tried extra hard to be glad

I decided this rudeness I’d have to attack,
If someone was rude, I’d give a smile back

At first my idea, well, I thought it was great,
I wanted to try it and I just could not wait

Along came a man with a face that looked gruff,
I smiled, but he just looked away with a huff!

When I saw a small boy with a frown on his face,
I knew with a smile that his frown I’d erase

I thought, “Here’s the ticket, I’ll start with the young,”
But then when I smiled, he just stuck out his tongue

Then came the old lady with a long green umbrella,
As she swung it she growled, “Move over young fella!”

I felt that my smile plan in no way would work,
Each time that I smiled, I just felt like a jerk

So, I started for home with a face that was dim,
When I saw a boy smiling, and smiled back at him

I stopped and we talked about what we could do,
We decided what’s better than one smile is two

We stood there for hours and we both smiled a bunch,
Our smiles didn’t stop, not even for lunch

Some folks would get happy and then they would smile,
Others went past real stern faced, single file

At the end of the day we both felt really good,
Come back and smile more the next day…we sure would!

So when you see someone whose face has a frown,
And you’re quite sure that something has gotten them down

Look‘em right in the eye, and give‘em a grin,
And I’ll bet that a day full of smiles will begin.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome :).

There's a woman where I work and I so often see people headed towards her window with grumpy expressions and frowns etc.. for various reasons. Yet every single one of them leaves her window with a smile and sometimes even laughing. :)