Sunday, April 17, 2005

The Price of Fame

Being a celebrity in America must not be easy. My pastor told a story of leaving Royal Oaks Country Club after playing golf and seeing Emmit Smith. Seems Emmit was getting in his car after what must have been an extremely frustrating 18 holes when a young boy ran up asking for his autograph. Being in no mood to even scribble his name on something he angrily dismissed the boy. Fighting tears, they boy walked back to his father as Emmit burned rubber getting out of the parking lot.

My wife and I went to a black tie auction last night. Presbyterian Hospital hosted the Greer Garson Gala at the Frontiers of Flight Museum near Love Field here in Dallas. We were lucky enough to sit next to Angie Harmon and Jason Sehorn.

Stick with me here, I’m making a point.

Due to M’s different positions at the hospital over the last 14 years, we’ve gone to more than our fair share of formal events. We go often enough that a couple of years ago I forked out the big bucks for a tuxedo. However, we don’t usually sit with, or really even talk to any of the celebrities. As much as I tried to deny it, sitting next to Angie Harmon, I was a bit star struck. I mean when Angie Harmon sits at your table you suddenly become very aware of where your elbows are and your posture.

I don’t know much about Jason other than that he used to play for the Giants. However, I’ve watched Angie on Law and Order and countless other shows and must say that she is every bit as gracious and elegant in real life as she appears to be on television. Both Angie and Jason are pleasant dinner companions and our evening couldn’t have been more fun.

No, being a celebrity in America must not be easy, because it has a heavy price. You owe something to your fans.

I don’t think all celebrities have figured this out, but I can name two who have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See...I told you so!