Friday, April 08, 2005

Only the Good Die Young...

I met Michael my freshman year at Hardin-Simmons University. We sat next to each other in Psychology of Personal Adjustment.

I liked Michael right from the start. We both laughed at the name of the class and I don’t think a day passed that we didn’t make some kind of joke about our class that taught us how to properly think about masturbation.

Being a small campus, we’d bump into each other fairly often and would usually spend half an hour or so, once a month catching up over junk food.

Our beloved institution of higher education required four semesters of chapel in order to graduate. Our sophomore year we were randomly placed next to each other in chapel. I don’t remember much about my four semesters of chapel at H-SU, but I do remember the two of us laughing and playing around during most of our time together in chapel.

We “bumped” into each other again at seminary. For two years Michael, Tracy Ward and I were like the Three Amigos. I don’t know if they did, but I like to think that our professors would cringe at the thought of us being in their class.

Michael has written about me two times in his blog, once here and a second time here. I haven’t written about Michael at all, a fact that he reminds me of whenever he can.

Back in November, Michael made the long journey from San Antonio to Dallas for my 40th birthday party. I hadn’t seen Michael in probably 10 years and we picked up right where we left off.

Now it’s his turn to get old and I’m heading down south for a night of friends, celebration and maybe a margarita or two. Who knows, maybe Tracy will grace us with his presence as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um, and stopping in to say hello to your OLDER BROTHER too, I hope.

ahem.