Saturday, August 04, 2012

seizure disorder


Note:  I haven’t written in a while, I think because until now I haven’t needed to write.  And maybe that’s a good thing.


seizure disorder

It’s been almost 22 years since the accident and closed head injury that nearly took my life…but things are still popping up. 

Since about the summer of 1993 I’ve been having these “things”, as I call them, and until now they have been a mystery. 

I can feel them starting and they’re a strange feeling that kind of moves over or through me like a wave.  It builds in intensity to a peak and then tapers off.  They feel like they last for 5 to ten minutes, but Melissa, who has witnessed more than one, tells me they only last for about 30 or 40 seconds.  

My speech comes out in nonsense words, yet I can tell I'm not making sense.   I can feel myself trying to communicate, I know what I want to say and I can even hear the correct words in my head, but the words that come out don’t make sense.  Not even to me.  Once I had one while teaching a math lesson and I kept teaching but I felt like I was saying everything twice.

After having these “things” every 3 to 6 months for almost 20 years, going to several doctors and having multiple MRI and EEG tests without results I had given up hope of ever getting a true diagnosis.   I had just gotten used to having them and moving on with the day.     

However, I recently had one while eating dinner with Melissa at home.  I felt it coming on and said, “One of those things is starting.” 

She started asking me questions.  “Can you count to 10?” “What year is it?”  “Who is the President?”

Honestly, I don’t remember if I could answer them.

She’s seen them before, but this one scared her.  That’s why I agreed to go to the doctor AGAIN, but I wasn’t expecting much. 

Long story short, Dr. Gerhardt found (after looking at my MRI for about 5 seconds) scarring on the left side of my brain that he said is causing a discharge.  I believe it is an electrical discharge of some kind.  I don’t know if it’s like a blackout or a power surge, but I intend to ask Dr. Gerhardt at my next appointment. 

The doctor also knew right away that these were seizures. 

It wasn't until he said that it's possible to die from these that I agreed to start taking seizure medication.  I'm only doing it for Melissa and Macy.

I don’t like it at all and I believe I’m still in denial. 

What I do know is that this is weighing heavily on my mind…thanks for listening.

Writing this is like therapy for me.  I’ll probably write more later.


5 comments:

Real Live Preacher said...

I vote for taking the meds. I know it's a big bummer. These kinds of medicines have side effects and it's no fun being on them indefinitely. I felt that way about Wellbutrin.

But yeah, we're all pretty committed to the world with Hugh in it. Even though I don't see you as much as I like, I need to know that you are there.

g

Anonymous said...

I hate this stuff is still messing with you. I'm praying the meds don't bother you much.

Tracy

Unknown said...

Respectfully, having dealt with seizure disorder treatment for years, and knowing what the neurologist said about "thresholds" and how we all have one (meaning any of us can have seizures given the right circumstances push us over our "threshold"), I am curious as to why the doctors told you these seizures could kill you? Most seizures are usually not life-threatening!

Don't get me wrong, please. I enjoy your blog, I am not trolling for a fight. I am legitimately curious as someone who has lost a child to a neurological issue, how others cope with theirs.

I wish you well... Keep going!

Buying Facebook Video Views said...

I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing.

Instagram Features said...

The post is very nice. I just shared on my Facebook Account.