Sunday, September 12, 2010

Conversations are Odd...

I went to a dinner party last night at the home of some friends. There were five couples and the conversations were quite engaging. I decided a poem was in order. However, as I was writing the poem this morning I started feeling a bit like Dr. Suess…I think you’ll see what I mean.

Enjoy


It’s funny the way conversations do flow,

At times they start off rather dull and quite slow


They muddle along and don’t go anywhere,

You sit with eyes glazed pulling out locks of hair


You’re sitting there wondering why words have to suck,

When someone blurts out the phrase, “Mickey the Muck”


Then you listen as some bloke recites this odd ballad,

Next someone’s telling tales of massaging a salad!


The night’s conversations take off into space,

No topic’s taboo…no not at this place


We talked about names both funny and strange,

About raccoons and chimneys and goats on the range


We spoke of odd habits and scrum-dilly-dinkers,

We mentioned blum-bloomers and twee-twilly-twinkers


We solved the world’s problems at least in our head,

There was no need to plan the things that you said


There were shots of Tequila that some of us had,

It went down rather smooth and it wasn’t half bad


We laughed and we chatted long into the night,

And everything clicked cause our world was all right


When names of our kids became topic of choice,

I decided I had thoughts I needed to voice


Name your child how you like, on creative wings fly,

If you choose “Kitchen Counter” well, that’s just TMI


It was somewhere past midnight when things settled down,

And our conversations had gone round and round


We hugged and shook hands saying bye to each friend,

Conversations are odd, but they all have to end


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Behold - the genius that is Hug-H! That was nothing short of awesome, Paula and I both laughed out loud until we teared up.