Sunday, May 02, 2010

Maddie Update

Sorry I hadn’t given a Maddie update, but sometimes no news is good news…or so “they” say.

Anyway, Maddie isn’t fully back to her old self again, but she’s much, much closer than she was three weeks ago. We were getting a blood test about every two to three days. Now we’re down to once every week to ten days.

Dr. Murray is primarily looking at the levels of two things, the B.U.N., and something called Creatanin. (I’m sure it’s spelled wrong, but it all sounds Greek to me!)

The B.U.N. is supposed to be somewhere in the 20’s. A month ago it was about 290. The Creatanin is supposed to be about 2.5. A month ago it was close to double digits.

Friday, April 23rd the B.U.N. was about 65 and the Creatanin was 4.6ish. Dr. Murray drew some blood on Saturday and we should get the results on Monday.

For the last couple of weeks I’ve been giving her daily, 200cc fluid injections. However, Dr. Murray has bumped it up to 300cc. I’m pretty sure 1cc is equal to 1ml. If that’s true, then I’m putting in a little less than a third of a liter of extra fluid each day.

It’s sometimes a little bloody, but not that hard to do. I’ve done it more that a dozen times now and it’s second nature now. Truth be told, I could probably show Dr. Murray a thing or two how to do it without sticking your own thumb. A mistake I won’t make twice.

As for Maddie, our big struggle now is getting her to eat. Evidently the levels being off make her a wee-bit nauseated. We’ve discovered she likes milk on her food…go figure.

At this point I think Melissa and I are both cautiously optimistic about how things are going.

I’ll try to remember to keep you posted

Thanks for asking.


No comments: