Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Where's that coming from?

It was a Tuesday night, and Melissa and I were working on creating a budget kind of thing.  She was using Excel, a program that I have no desire to understand or know how to use, when I decided to shoot to Baker Brother’s to get us some food.  

I hopped in the convertible and took off.  

I was carrying the bags back into the house, when I heard this beep.  

It sounded like the sound our alarm makes when the front door is opened, only not as loud as usual.  I glanced around to the front door, but it was closed.  As I was putting the bags down on the kitchen counter I heard the beep again, only it sounded like it had moved.  

“What is that beeping sound?” I asked the whole house.  

“What beeping sound?” Came the puzzled reply from the computer room.  

"BEEP" 

“There is goes again!” I said. 

Melissa met me in the hallway.  “I don’t hear anything.”   

Looking at me like I was crazy, she stared at me as we waited…and like clockwork, it beeped again.

“I don’t know what it is, but it sounds like it’s over here.”

“BEEP”

“Wait, now it sounds like it’s over there!”

"BEEP"

“It keeps moving!”

This conversation went on for about half an hour and we were all getting frustrated, because it didn’t matter where I went in the house it never got louder or softer, or closer or farther away. 

At this point I gave up and decided that whatever it was I was going to either find it later, or wait until it made itself known to the world. 

I was at the end of my rope! 

That’s when I reached into my pocket to take out my wallet and phone.  However, what I at first simply assumed was my phone was actually the pager Baker Brothers had given me to alert me when my order was ready.   


And then I heard an irritating, yet familiar – 

"BEEP!"  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

As you may have figured out by now we were able to use the GPS tracker in the pager to determine your location. Please be advised that your account is being charged $35 a day for pager rental. If said pager is not returned within the next 24 hours, we will cease and assist in serving you anything from our menu including the Rueben sandwich or any pizza. This may seem humorous or make for nice fodder for blogs but be advised we take this absconding very seriously. And you call yourself a Sunday School teacher? Please!

Chester Droores
Manager|Baker Brothers
214.867.5309

Anonymous said...

BEEEEEP!!!

Phil Cantwell