Saturday, October 04, 2008

More Volleyball!

Forest Meadow’s eighth grade girls played some amazing volleyball last Thursday night!  We played against Parkhill, another of Richardson ISD’s exceptional volleyball schools.

The B Team led the charge with two great games.  Both were back and forth battles filled with impressive plays.  However, in the end, Parkhill pulled out two narrow wins.  25 to 23 and 25 to 21. 

The A Team burst onto the court in rare form with two quick unanswered points.  But both teams were hungry that night, and after those first two points the game was fierce battle.  It was easy to see that this game was going to be one for the record books!

The Lady Chargers had skillful play after skillful play, but Parkhill would rally and give as good as they got.  This wasn’t a game that was going to be won or lost on errors or bad serves.  Oh no, this was a death match…and there would be only one survivor.

With the score at Parkhill 13, Forest Meadow 10, Parkhill started to rally.  The Lady Chargers were in desperate need of a "tourniquet play." (Just a little phrase I coined that means a play to stop the bleeding, and help turn the tide in our direction)

Their tourniquet came in the form of two unbelievable diving saves.  Sadly, this reporter got so caught up in the excitement of moment that I didn’t remember to write down which girls made those amazing play.  However, it doesn’t matter whose arm or hand actually struck the ball, because this final rally was a true team effort. 

All four of the night’s volleyball games were exactly like that.  Fierce battles fought by teams with fire in their eyes, passion in their hearts and a true love of volleyball set deep in their soul.  

Ladies and gentlemen, this was one for the record books.  Because while in the end Parkhill had the most points…there were no losers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing game and equally amazing coverage. I also love the tourniquet phrase "you" coined; genius. I could have sworn I heard another parent use that term initially though - not that I'm questioning your journalistic ethics (or lack thereof).

Anonymous said...

I too heard another Dad use that phrase to describe the much needed point as well - but it was back in week one. I remember thinking then, "That guy knows his volleyball. Very appropriate term!"

Hugh said...

I can see how, to the untrained ear, the rapid transfer of syllabic utterings could be confusing. Rest assured that my trained journalistic ears would have picked up on any previous mention of any and all phrases.

Plus, there weren't that many smart dads at the game.

Anonymous said...

I heard about this blog and I really enjoyed reading the recaps of the games. I did however see several dads there, one that I consider to be VERY wise, so I'm not sure your "count" of smart dads was very accurate.

I'll be watching and listening very closely tomorrow to pick up on the nuances of the game so I can better appreciate your literary perspective.