Monday, August 11, 2008

Multiple Use Items...an Update

As I mentioned in my last posting, my shoes have multiple uses.  One being shoes and the other being bottle openers…bottle openers that, at the time of the posting, I had never actually used.  

I had no idea what fun I was missing. 

We were picking my daughter up from camp in Hunt Texas.  If you’re not from The Lone Star State, and even if you are, there is a good chance you’ve never heard of Hunt Texas.  Hunt Texas is a small, nay tiny community in the heart of the Texas hill country.  While Hunt is small population wise, it has enough acreage to be home to more summer camps that I can name.  I believe there are about 8 to 10 different camps.  

This was Friday at about noon and many of the eager Camp Waldemar parents had stopped at the Hunt Store for a quick lunch before heading to camp.  Waldemar is steeped in tradition and the gates don’t open until 2:00 PM, but a line of cars magically begins forming outside the gates about an hour before they open.    

The Hunt Store, which is a combination gas station, grocery store, butcher shop, burger joint, post office and bank, is as far as I can tell, the only store in this quaint little town.   End of camp for each of the camps in the area means big business for The Hunt Store.  

But anyway, back to my shoes.  

So there we are, standing in the store’s restaurant waiting for some friends to arrive and I decide to buy a bottle of IBC Root Beer and open it with my shoe.  Standing next to the table I said, “Hey everyone, check out the cool bottle opener shoes on their maiden voyage!”  

I lifted my foot, flipped the bottle upside down and popped off the top in one quick fluid motion.  And it worked like a charm!  

As it turned out, my fluid motions may have been a wee-bit too quick.  No sooner had I gotten the bottle turned back upright, it started to spew root beer everywhere.  

On the up side, the spew was quite impressive.  We’re talking about a root beer flying in a perfect arch for about five feet. 

On the down side, the spew was quite impressive.  We’re talking about close to 12 ounces of root beer spread out over about five feet that I got to clean up.  

After all was said and done, I got almost two full gulps of root beer and lots of angry looks. 

 

Like I said, I had no idea what fun I was missing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the funniest part was that you specifically spewed root beer all over your mother...you left that little detail out!

Hugh said...

Yes, well I think that may have actually happened, but my mind must have blocked out some of the more disturbing details.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Melissa's dad and I could easily put a different spin on your story. Warning, stay away from shoe bottle openers!

Mom