Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Is there life after DSL?

I’ve had DSL for about eight years, and in the beginning it was wonderful. However, ever since I added a wireless router to the mix things have not been well.

My network, if you can call it that, drops the signal six to eight times a day! It’s worse than my old dial-up account used to be. We don’t have cable, or I’d check into cable modem, but those are the only options that I know of.

I feel like I’m being held hostage with no hope of ever coming up with the ransom money.

So where do I go from here? Dallas isn’t a small city. There should be other options…but what are they?

Really, any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to be able to call AT&T and tell them (after waiting on hold for half the day) that I am canceling my account.

Signed,
Technologically Frustrated

7 comments:

Christina said...

You know, you can get cable internet without actually having cable. We have it through Time Warner, although I'd recommend another company if you can get it.

Anonymous said...

Do you have any machine connected via wire to the router? If so, does that machine 'drop the signal'? I'm betting not.

Wireless routers generally operate on the 2.4 GHz spectrum that may also populated by microwave ovens, wireless security cameras, and cordless phones.

If you have a microwave near your router, I suggest moving the router. If you have a 2.4 GHz phone, I suggest replacing it with a new 5.8 GHz or better yet 6.0 DECT phone.

Another source of trouble can be if the router and the client card aren't using the same technology by default. Are they both from the same company (DLink, Netgear, Belkin maybe?) is one 802.11B, and the other 802.11G? I'd approach the problem as being with the wireless NIC.

Casey

Hugh said...

Casey,

I had not thought about the microwave, however it's not near my router.

I do have a machine connected via wire, but it drops the signal as well.

As for the router and the client card...I've never heard of a "Client Card," so I have no idea if they are the same.

However, I think I have discovered my problem. We have a new PS3 with a wireless connection. Whenever the PS3 is on my network mysteriously loses it's connection.

What I don't know is if I'm going to need a new stronger router and or modem. I'm not even sure there are router strengths.

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous said...

The wonderful thing about Dallas is the availability of FIOS. I'm not sure what the coverage is where you live, but the Verizon site allows you to enter your address and see if it's available. My parents have it, and we love using the internet when we visit because the speeds are amazing.
Teresa

Hugh said...

FIOS...I'm going to check it out right now.

Thanks Teresa

Hugh said...

I checked into the FiOS thing, and it seemed like just the thing I need. However, it's not offered in my area.

Welcome to my world!

Missie said...

sucks for you, sry, lol.

i have similar issues, no my microwave isn't on.

what i can't seem to figure out is how other people networks show up (and work ;P ) when my own won't in odd places, like downstairs.

fios, not in my area. i have a cable modem and a wireless g router and it is a belkin, and cheap. and i lose my connections all the time...

gl 2 u