Tuesday, August 21, 2007

My Jesus Shoes

Growing up in El Paso I wore flip-flops all the time. This was long before flip-flops were such a huge fashion statement. Due to the fact that, like most boys, I either tended to be extra rough on, and or lose items of this type of clothing, I can’t imagine my mom spent much more than a dollar for each pair of flip-flops.

A few years ago I was walking through Dillard’s when I saw a pair of Tommy Hilfiger flip-flops sitting on a sale table. They were originally $35.00, but marked down to $12.00. I’m not sure exactly why, but I decided to buy them.

So began my rekindled love affair with flip-flops.

For a while now my flip-flops have been showing signs of age. However, it wasn’t until the cruise that they began rubbing a blister between my toes. Sadly, I decided to retire my flip-flops and search for a new pair.

I tend to be rather picky about things like shoes and spent a few months looking. I didn’t look everyday, or even every week for that matter. It was just if I happened to find myself in a store where they happened to sell flip-flops I would take a look and see if anything caught my eye.

I had just about given up hope of finding a pair when I happened though that same Dillard’s and came across the perfect pair…on the sale table. There are no flashy colors, no zippy slogans, and no fancy stitching. They’re even a little jagged around the edges.

Melissa and Macy think they are ugly and can’t stand them. (A fact that makes wearing them all that much more fun!)

Looking down I said, “You know, if Jesus was here today I think that this is precisely the type of shoe he would wear. There’s even a fish on the bottom!"

"I guess it’s slipped your mind that Jesus hung out with a bunch of fishermen!”


My goal was to shame them into liking my shoes, but alas that hasn't worked...yet.

Maybe someday they’ll see the light, and embrace my Jesus shoes.


4 comments:

Real Live Preacher said...

You can let them take a look at my wardrobe. They will come screaming home and never say another bad thing about anything you wear ever again.

Hugh said...

No offense, but I made the mistake of saying, "I bet Gordon would wear them!"

But that didn't win me any points.

Thanks anyway...

Anonymous said...

Found your blog while browsing around trying to find some info. on how to help my girl through third grade. She had a rough time in Math last year and we've been working on it this summer. She's just not up to speed. I'm super worried about these "standardized tests" that are coming this school year. Any advice/tips? She's a super bright little girl, but tends to find English and the arts easier than Math. Thanks. Oh yeah, and I'm ALL about flip flops. We live in them at my house.

Hugh said...

Shannon,

If you're in Texas, the good news is 3rd graders only have to pass the reading part of the TAKS test in order to promote to 4th grade. It sounds like your girl is having trouble only in math.

That being said, I understand that your real concern isn't passing the test, but rather making sure that your child is understanding and getting a grasp on the required material.

The best way for you to help your daughter do her best is by you and your daughter doing math together each day. It may be homework, other work on the same topic, or both. It doesn't have to take a lot of time, but long enough to reinforce whatever work was done in class that day.

Have her explain/teach the day’s lesson to you. At this level you will probably be fairly familiar with most, if not all, of the actual concepts. However, because they aren’t words we use all that much in everyday life, the vocabulary may a bit unfamiliar, but her teaching it to you will only strengthen her understanding.

It sounds like she already has the best thing she needs, and that’s a caring parent who wants to help her do her best.

I hope this helps.

Hugh