Sunday, October 24, 2004

About Me

I'm not actually a third grader, although I am in the third grade. I teach third grade and consequently spend much of my time immersed in a childish culture. My class is a multiage class. It is filled with third and forth graders from every walk of life. I think being given the opportunity to see life through the eyes of an eight or nine-year-old child is an amazing gift.

What makes my being a teacher a bit ironic is that fact that I didn't enjoy school very much. It wasn't until the fifth grade when I had Mr. Turner at Shadow Oaks Elementary in Houston Texas that I began to enjoy being at school.

I remember that every kid in forth grade wanted Mr. Turner. Maybe it was the novelty of having a man. Maybe it was the fact that every fifth grader I knew thought he was great. I really don't know. But for whatever reason I wanted to be in Mr. Turner's class. Mr. Turner turned out to not only be a great teacher, but a great teacher for me. He was able to relate to me on a child's level and also teach things in a way that just made sense to me. I remember the time I called him Dad by mistake. He just tussled my hair, smiled and never said a thing about it.

When I decided to go into teaching I couldn't help but think I wanted to be a teacher like Mr. Turner.



I'm not sure what I'll post here. My thoughts. My daily happenings. My poetry.








No comments: